'06 Deer Season *warning* pics of deer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
Cory Lover said:
Hi,

I have to disagree. I live were there are lots of wild places and I see deer quite bit. They like to walk all over our property (which we like very much) and around our main road. I've got close to deer many times with them seeing me clearly. This spring I saw a group of four bucks and slowly climbed a hill to see them more close up. I got really close (I think about 15-20 yards) and they just looked at me. After watching them for a bit, I backed away. None of them ran! We also have many grouse and bears on our property that we can get quite close too. The grouse our soooo dumb.

By the way, I agree with you jennfier.

Sorry for getting a little off topic.

Cory Lover
that's because they sense that you mean no harm. they know when they're being stalked.

Cory Lover

AC Members
Oct 8, 2006
B.C. Canada
fishcatch22 said:
that's because they sense that you mean no harm. they know when they're being stalked.
Hi,

Then why do the hunters stalk them if its easier to look like you mean no harm?

Cory Lover

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
Cory Lover said:
Hi,

Then why do the hunters stalk them if its easier to look like you mean no harm?

Cory Lover
This is just what I leared from watching deer that lived in the woods behind my complex in florida. me and my friend used to go and watch deer, and they never ran away. one day, my friend brought a rock to throw at them. he didn't even raise his arm, and they somehow immediately knew he was going to try to hurt them and they bolted. see what I mean?

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
Cory Lover said:
I got really close (I think about 15-20 yards) and they just looked at me. After watching them for a bit, I backed away. None of them ran! We also have many grouse and bears on our property that we can get quite close too. The grouse our soooo dumb.
Wow, its pretty rare to be able to sneak within 15-20 yards of a deer. Sure it happens, but around here it is rare. I have been within that range of deer in the middle of downtown columbus, or on the tractor out in the field, but in these seetings you cant hunt deer. I wont doubt though that in some areas of the world deer and other game animals may be less afraid of humans and more tame, just depends on the area, and I can see how that would affect someones views regarding them.

I've had deer within 20 yards on many occasions though, mostly being patient from my treestand, or walking through the woods when one jumps up and runs away - even 20 yards away and with a riffle often dont have enough time to get a good shot, or they often run into the thickest brush and in 2 seconds they are gone.

wesleydnunder said:
I've always had the best luck when I can get up high, out of the scent picture. My kids bought me a tree-climbing blind a few years back and I primarily bow hunt out of it. BTW was that a Matthews bow in the other pic? I shoot a PSE.

Mark
Me too. Although I do sometimes still hunt I prefer the treestand. Alot of hunters dont like sitting around all day, or even half a day, I just call them impatient and not disceplined lol! As far as my bow, its a Reflex Buckskin. Here is my bow outfit: http://tristan.homelinux.net/hunting/bow.htm The bow isnt anything super hot, but I really liked it and the fit me well, so I put my money in all the accesories for it. I just cant see spending 600-700 on a bare bow and still need a few hundred bucks for all the ad-ons, but I do come from a very frugal background lol. I started hunting with a PSE myself, a Thunderflight Express. Great bow. But it wasnt mine, and when I moved out of state it went back to the owner. Didnt get to bowhunt for many years. I just went back home for my 1 week break in fall and used a riffle. Now the last few years I am back in the bow scene and love it.

Last edited:

Tesla_HV

AC Members
Jul 7, 2006
loaches r cool said:
Tesla - I like the name! You might want to check out one of my projects:

Thats my 'Tesla Pose' with my larger Tesla Coil I built back in college.
http://tristan.homelinux.net/quantum2/index.htm its not the best design or anything, but it worked well.
Great picture, you should be proud of that project. Did you do a double exposure to get that picture, or did you sit underneath it while the Tesla coil was going? Right now, I only have a neon transformer as a Jacob's ladder. I plan to use it for my Tesla coil project. I have most of the parts now. My next step is to wind the secondary.

coupedefleur

AC Members
Jul 25, 2006
NW Ohio
sharpie said:
the dear kill people...really?
There are about 150 people each year that could tell you about that... but they're dead:

"According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety there are an estimated 1.5 million deer-vehicle collisions annually in the United States, causing more than 150 fatalities and $1.1 billion in property damage. An estimated 10,000 more deer collisions occurred this year."

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/midwest/2006/10/23/73507.htm

$1.1 billion is a large number too. If a storm or terrorists caused that much damage and killed that many people, it would be a big news story!

Cory Lover

AC Members
Oct 8, 2006
B.C. Canada
loaches r cool said:
Wow, its pretty rare to be able to sneak within 15-20 yards of a deer. Sure it happens, but around here it is rare. I have been within that range of deer in the middle of downtown columbus, or on the tractor out in the field, but in these seetings you cant hunt deer. I wont doubt though that in some areas of the world deer and other game animals may be less afraid of humans and more tame, just depends on the area, and I can see how that would affect someones views regarding them.

I've had deer within 20 yards on many occasions though, mostly being patient from my treestand, or walking through the woods when one jumps up and runs away - even 20 yards away and with a riffle often dont have enough time to get a good shot, or they often run into the thickest brush and in 2 seconds they are gone.

Hi,

Yeah, in Canada (where there is a lot of wilderness) most animals are not that scared from humans. When I get close to a deer I want to hug him/her. They are just sooooo cute!

Coupedefleur, lets all remember its more like we killing deer, not deer killing us.

Cory Lover

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
Cory Lover said:
Hi,

Yeah, in Canada (where there is a lot of wilderness) most animals are not that scared from humans. When I get close to a deer I want to hug him/her. They are just sooooo cute!

Coupedefleur, lets all remember its more like we killing deer, not deer killing us.

Cory Lover
Most of the time I think of it as the deer commiting suicide, unfortunately it sometimes results in the loss of human life. Though this fact does not weigh in to my hunting beleifs, that is just a side effect of overpopulation - though there will always be accidents even with a good population.

Yeah, to be honest I would love to live up in Canada. I have climbed many a mountain in the Adirondacks in NY and the White Mounatins of NH. Beautiful wilderness up there in Canada, though I have never had the opurtunity to travel very far.

TeslaHV - I'll start a new thread about HV stuff so we dont go off topic here, its at http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=717563

Last edited:

John N.

AC Members
Feb 1, 2006
California
Hunting is Necessary Evil

Hi there,

I don't condone hunting but it is a double edge sword and many conservationalist will support hunting.

Reasons why hunting is necessary for the greater good.

1. Population K control
2. Hunters pay for licenses that the Department of Fish and Game (DFG) use to support conservation and restoration efforts
3. Prevents animal starvation suffering
4. Helps humans coexist with the wild in our modern world i.e decreases animal/car collisions.

Item #2 is a huge factor. Hunters are one of the primary sources of income for research and conservation projects, without them many other animals would also suffer or become extinct across the US. The DFG makes sure that hunting seasons begin and end to ensure a balance the eco system. Although it may seem inhuman to kill these animals, in today's world it has become essential for the preservation of the species and many others.

-John N.

Last edited:

Tesla_HV

AC Members
Jul 7, 2006
I went to school with a guy whos dad was a big-game hunter guide in Africa. He said that the poaching problem exploded when big-game hunting was made illegal there. The hunters, whatever you may think about the ethics of hunting, kept the poachers in check. When they left, the game wardens were overwhelmed and undermanned.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store