1” EBJD with 6” Severum

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I just don’t have the room for another tank, the only place is my garage which isn’t insulated and we’re in the middle of winter, the heaters will be working overtime
I’ve had the cat for around 4 years now and I’ve had him with some fairly small fish before including a geo that was probably only 1.5” when I got it and it never got bothered at all, it’s never eaten another fish.
the breeder box he’s in is 15cmx10x10 so it’s tiny, need him out of there ASAP I think
I wasn't thinking, and sometimes I forget that most people don't have the room, finances, or as understanding of a spouse (my wife is a saint when it comes to my fish habit) as I've been blessed with, and so can't just setup another tank whenever they like.

I actually have another idea. Get some egg crate, which is another name for the grating that's put over flourescent lights to protect them when they don't need to be decorative, and a roll of nylon screen door mesh for replacing screen on a screen door or window.

Here's a link to the eggcrate if you're not with it: PLASKOLITE 24-in x 48-in 7.85-sq ft Louvered Ceiling Light Panels in the Ceiling Light Panels department at Lowes.com

And a link to the nylon screen: Phifer BetterVue 4-ft x 25-ft Black Fiberglass Screen Mesh in the Replacement Screens department at Lowes.com

I'm not recommending you buy either from here, I just linked to show you what they are. I've bought it for between $10 and $20 depending on square footage. You can find it for that either at a hardware store or on-line. Shop a little to get a good price. Don't be turned off if the first place you look has them listed at $75 or more for either. The square footage on a higher priced roll is much larger. However, sometimes internet retailers will rake a shopper over the coals.

Cut the eggcrate to fit on one side of your tank to the same internal dimensions as the end of your tank. Cut a section of the mesh to match the grate, then glue the mesh to the eggcrate with a cyanoacrylate glue. I prefer the Loctite brand but Gorilla Glue is good. A cyanoacrylate glue creates a much better bond than silicon, and once it dries is harmless to aquatic life. Glue the screen completelyy around the edges, and then at 3 or 4 inch intervals across the grating to form a checkerboard pattern in the center. Use several suction cup clips on each side to hold it in place. You now have a cheap reusable divider that you can slide farther from or closer to the end of the tank depending on your needs. You save room, the divider can be removed when no longer needed and the fish also is growing up in the same tank (which allows it to get use to the other occupants. and vice-versa) and with the same filtration. The resistance from the mesh will slow water exchange between the two sides of the divider somewhat, so you may want to put a small powerhead on the shorter side with the EBJD.

WYite

Reactions: Sprinkle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store