1 HR from now...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
After giving them all some time to adjust, I started noticing certain patterns that they each have. Unfortunately, seems like there is at least one that seems sick. The blue ones would hang in the corners, while the others come out and eat. The blues would only eat if I saturate the tank with frozen blood worms, then they get a bite or two in.

I'm especially concerned, as it seems that their breathing rate is faster than the rest, and I have only noticed one gill opening and closing, 1/2 gill function.

I feel that they may need medical attention to make them recover.

Anyone have experience in this?

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
What's going on with the gills and faster breathing sounds like it might be gill flukes.

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
What's going on with the gills and faster breathing sounds like it might be gill flukes.
One gill seems clamped, and the breathing seems increased compaired to the rest of the group.

I've been reading up on the gill flutes as well, and seems the most probable. What's the best and cost efficient treatment for it? I've been reading a lot about Praziquantel.

yourchoice

AC Members
Aug 6, 2006
Toronto
Did you add an airstone?Are the fins looking better?Squeeze out the sponge every week and is there a main filter,that might need to be cleaned every 2 weeks.

Did they come out of the same tank when you got them?

addicted2fish

" Can you come out to play ? "
Mar 19, 2008
If it was me , IMO ~ I would try to get rid of the weakest links' , as you are not too sure, def. get the right' advice, and dont belive everything your told. I would say to keep 6, maybye even 4 in that tank and they will get more air, and be able to hide better, e3sp when you add some wood, rock, plants ...... somthing they can run around and dash in and out of . that is what they love to do . I appluad you on your discus purchase, it takes experance to learn, and one day you could be a fine breeder. who knows, maybye even a pair or two from this batch ! just be careful . water changes are a must for these fish . am glad your working on a easier way ! and too much food is not good ethier . that only dirty's the tank . I know you want themn to eat , and poop well . but you dont want to get your tank so nasty . I would try to find someone local . ask your LFS if they know' of a breeder, you can act' like you want to buy, you might later ...... and look at his/her tanks. see thier fish , ask then if they would look at your fish . ask questions online as you are.... and find out if any are sick, or just worn & torn from the conditions they were in before. what size tank were these fish in ? sounds like there were far too many , for far too long . Be careful to not make the same mistake . they need room to grow. try to best as you can find the weakest ones, sell them off, or do what you can .... that way you will have more room in your tank for the healthy ones to grow stronger. BE REALLY careful with medicines !!!!!!! I cant stress this enough . !!!!!! ~~~~~ read, read, read. all you can before and after, and water changes will be your key . PleASE get some types of decor in that tank asap . so they can hide, run... play ~~ without being so aggresive, It is the beginning of this , wait till they get comfortable, when they are sure this is thier home for good, they will get worse with the fighting this is why you need the plants and other decor as hiding spots, and run around playground...... I too want some discus soon . I got me some angels for now . they are growing and doing well, havent found a pair yet, sure I will by summer as they get bigger . I would have ran to get these just as you did . So just watch these guys and good luck !!! ~

HTH and IMHO ~

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
Did you add an airstone?Are the fins looking better?Squeeze out the sponge every week and is there a main filter,that might need to be cleaned every 2 weeks.

Did they come out of the same tank when you got them?
I haven't squeezed out the sponge every week. I'll do that this up-coming water change.

The main filter has not been touched yet, it's been 4 weeks almost. I'll take a peek in there and see if it needs a rinse.

The air-stone is in there along with the spong filter air-stone.

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
If it was me , IMO ~ I would try to get rid of the weakest links' , as you are not too sure, def. get the right' advice, and dont belive everything your told. I would say to keep 6, maybye even 4 in that tank and they will get more air, and be able to hide better, e3sp when you add some wood, rock, plants ...... somthing they can run around and dash in and out of . that is what they love to do . I appluad you on your discus purchase, it takes experance to learn, and one day you could be a fine breeder. who knows, maybye even a pair or two from this batch ! just be careful . water changes are a must for these fish . am glad your working on a easier way ! and too much food is not good ethier . that only dirty's the tank . I know you want themn to eat , and poop well . but you dont want to get your tank so nasty . I would try to find someone local . ask your LFS if they know' of a breeder, you can act' like you want to buy, you might later ...... and look at his/her tanks. see thier fish , ask then if they would look at your fish . ask questions online as you are.... and find out if any are sick, or just worn & torn from the conditions they were in before. what size tank were these fish in ? sounds like there were far too many , for far too long . Be careful to not make the same mistake . they need room to grow. try to best as you can find the weakest ones, sell them off, or do what you can .... that way you will have more room in your tank for the healthy ones to grow stronger. BE REALLY careful with medicines !!!!!!! I cant stress this enough . !!!!!! ~~~~~ read, read, read. all you can before and after, and water changes will be your key . PleASE get some types of decor in that tank asap . so they can hide, run... play ~~ without being so aggresive, It is the beginning of this , wait till they get comfortable, when they are sure this is thier home for good, they will get worse with the fighting this is why you need the plants and other decor as hiding spots, and run around playground...... I too want some discus soon . I got me some angels for now . they are growing and doing well, havent found a pair yet, sure I will by summer as they get bigger . I would have ran to get these just as you did . So just watch these guys and good luck !!! ~

HTH and IMHO ~
Thanks for the encouragement! If not the dire need and time that the seller was moving, and the price that I picked them up for, I wouldn't have jumped into the Discus scene that fast. I've been thinking about picking up Discus for some months prior to the purchase though.

I've been keeping up with the water changes, but the decor issue I am unsure of. I too am starting to feel that selling off a few might be a good idea, but only after they are healthy without any parasites. I'm not one to pass along sick fish to someone else. So first thing's first, I need to nurse these back to health.

My home is turning into one huge fish-room. I have tanks all over the place. I just re-wired my 2 10G + nano cubes for use of timers. Hopefully, they'll make it easier for me so I can concentrate on the fish' health, and not all the chores involved in fish-keeping.

Shawn

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Without an actual scrape and a microscope, you can't be 100% certain that it's gill flukes, but the symptoms you describe.....only using one gill and breathing more rapidly are dead on symptoms of gill flukes. I only saw this once in some new fish and got PraziPro to treat. PraziPro did the job.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store