1 in 6 Canadians victims of racism

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gambusia

AC Members
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1111412181870_19/?hub=CTVNewsAt11

in 6 Canadians victims of racism: poll

CTV.ca News Staff

A new poll is challenging the view of Canada as a tolerant and open society, as close to four million Canadians report being the victims of racism.

The Ipsos-Reid poll, released Monday, found that one in six adults, or 17 per cent of those surveyed, said they had experienced racism personally.

Perhaps the most surprising finding was that seven per cent, or 1.7 million Canadians, would not welcome someone of another race as a next-door neighbour.

As well, 13 per cent (3.1 million Canadians) said they would never marry or have a relationship with a person of another race, and 15 per cent (3.4 million Canadians) said skin colour makes a difference in their workplace.

"I think that is a horrible shame," said Rudyard Griffiths, the executive director of the Dominion Institute, which commissioned the survey.

"We should be treating each other as fellow citizens with respect and tolerance, interested in each other's opinions -- not seeing each other through the lens or filter of race."

The survey was conducted to mark International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination.

Griffiths said it shows that Canada needs to work on being a more tolerant multicultural nation.

"Maybe as a country, we've been too quick to see racism and discrimination as problems that other countries are forced to deal with," Griffiths told CTV.ca.

"But I think at the same time, we've got to remind ourselves that this is a persistent and ongoing challenge that we face as a country and we've got to remain vigilant."

According to the poll, Canadians believe the groups most targeted by racism in their community are:

* Muslims and Arabs -- 38 per cent
* Aboriginals/First Nations -- 31 per cent
* Blacks -- 28 per cent
* East Indians -- 24 per cent
* Asians -- 14 per cent
* Jewish -- 11 per cent
* Hispanics -- five per cent

The poll also found that 17 per cent believed racism was on the rise in their community. Another 13 per cent believed racism had decreased, while the majority said it had neither increased nor decreased.

Most of those surveyed said the best way to combat racism is by promoting racial tolerance in schools. Griffiths agrees with that assessment.

"The beautiful thing we all know about children is that when it comes to race, young children are largely colour-blind, and that this is a learned behaviour," he said.

"If it's a learned behaviour, hopefully it's behaviour that can be unlearned."

As the poll was released Monday, NDP MP Libby Davies introduced a bill in Parliament calling on the federal government to ban racial profiling from all federal departments.

The bill would require ministers of various departments to report back to Parliament on the activities of their ministries. Federal agencies would also have to create policies to eliminate such profiling.

It was supported by all opposition parties. Conservative MP Gurmant Grewal joined Davies at the news conference.

"I think we should emphasize to unite Canada, unite Canadians and celebrity our similarities, not differences," Grewal said.

The Ipsos-Reid poll was conducted between March 15 and 17. A randomly selected sample of 1,001 Canadians were surveyed by telephone. Results are considered accurate to within plus or minus three percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
Somewhat related Gambusia, whose style of integration do you prefer; the American 'melting pot' ideal, or the Canadian style of diverse culture?

benedictj

AC Members
Feb 25, 2005
Interesting. There was a 60 minutes segment not long ago which touched on this somewhat throught the subject of adoption.

I would be curious to see how this compares to the numbers in the US. For some reason I don't think that the numbers would be much different. Which is really a sad commentary.

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
You'll have to elaborate, benedictj. What did the 60 minutes report say? Can we assume that you live in Canada?

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Rudyard Griffiths said:
"If it's a learned behaviour, hopefully it's behaviour that can be unlearned."
Did any of you guys see the movie "American History X"? Very much along these lines.

Seriously though, I wish I could say that I'm shocked to hear that some 15% of Canadians are bigots, merely dissapointed that I wasn't surprised by a lower number. Unfortunately, I don't think that we'll ever be able to completely eliminate racism, it's too closely tied with laziness: it's much easier to blame someone else than to take a good hard look at yourself.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
happychem said:
Did any of you guys see the movie "American History X"? Very much along these lines.

Seriously though, I wish I could say that I'm shocked to hear that some 15% of Canadians are bigots, merely dissapointed that I wasn't surprised by a lower number. Unfortunately, I don't think that we'll ever be able to completely eliminate racism, it's too closely tied with laziness: it's much easier to blame someone else than to take a good hard look at yourself.
very good movie, happy!

and I agree with your opinion.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It's very saddening to see the increase in racism in schools. Denver area schools have had several disturbing reports of racism (one involving a 'kill list' that listed only black students). It's scary to realize--these kids are learning this behavior, probably from their parents.

But--even scarier--if these people wouldn't want a different race moving in next door, what would they do about it? It's one thing to hold an opinion, it's how people act on those opinions that can cause problems. My grandfather was very racist (it was ridiculous--we couldn't watch TV shows with black people in them, even though he watched football every Sunday), but he never did or said anything to hurt someone--he'd just change the channel.

benedictj

AC Members
Feb 25, 2005
Matak said:
You'll have to elaborate, benedictj. What did the 60 minutes report say? Can we assume that you live in Canada?
Happy to elaborate. The basic topic of the 60 minutes story was Canadiens, mainly in Alberta, adopting African-American children. There was lenghty discussion of the trials and tribulations of being a minority and being the caucasian parents of a minority. In that portion of the segment, they discussed that there was a definite community isolation for both parents and children. (Thankfully, parents have networked and set up their own thing, which has a sad aspect to it.)

I'm not a Canadian. I used to live very close to Quebec and went there often. Frankly, I think the canadian numbers are endemic of a larger, global problem. I still see rascism here in the US constantly, though it is a social rascism, confined to passing comments and dealings. Nothing legally punishable, just attitude.

A lot of it here in NYC is really closet, but you can tell it is still present. Recently, I've spent a lot of time outside of New York. Everyplace I've been it has been discernable. In Philly, you can literally cut with a knife the tension between African- Americans and Caucasians while walking through the downtown streets. When I was in Raleigh, I could feel the socio-economic consequences of it. I found many African Americans in the south were warry to look me in the eye when I talked to them, which just breaks my heart. I went to France last month and while I was in la Gare du Nord, there was a guy walking around with an armband that said "Death to Jews" on it (en français of course).

I also agree with OrionGirl, it is terrifying that this is so often a learned behaviour. I have seen it manifested in my family, though in a really subtle way. The elders of the tribe definitely tend to buy into rascism. Unfortunately it has been handed down to my parents in the form of a indescribable fear and insecurity that lurks just below the surface. (I see it every time my parents come to visit me in the city).

What saddens me most is that increased or sustained rascism is the last thing we need in the insecure, post 9/11 world. There is absolutely no way we will ever come to any equinimity over our differences with our own socities and on the world stage until everyone, and I mean absolutely everyone, can address each other as equals.

Last edited:

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
benedictj said:
What saddens me most is that increased or sustained rascism is the last thing we need in the insecure, post 9/11 world. There is absolutely no way we will ever come to any equinimity over our differences with our own socities and on the world stage until everyone, and I mean absolutely everyone, can address each other as equals.
It is sad, but completely expected. Anytime a tragedy strikes people are all too ready to find someone to blame. Would the anti-semitism been as rampant in WWII Germany if not for the economic depression? I doubt it. Are muslims/arabs responsible for 9/11? No. A specific group of people who are arabs are. The same could be said about Timothy McVay, do his actions reflect on all white people? No, of course not, the only reason that that particular tragedy didn't result in paranoia of a particular race/creed is because he was part of the majority, that and they were able to find him specifically and take out the anger and retribution on him.

When will racism die? When some alien being invades a chunk of Earth or part of our solar system that we claim. Then we'll all get together and say "We're all from Earth, so we're all okay, but those green-skins cause nothing but trouble." I really hope that I'm just being a cynic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store