10 Gallon Advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Joshy

AC Members
Oct 8, 2005
UK
I feel a bit a naive asking such a common question, but cut me some slack, I am fairly new to this.

I intend on purchasing a 10 gallon tank, for coldwater fish. I have been thoroughly reading through all the basics for 2 weeks now, and think I am ready.
But what I am stuck on is what fish to actually house, I have looked up what fish I could accommodate, but really I can not make up my mind. It gets confusing as to what species goes with whom, without going into expert or scientific facts that throws me off.

The tank is going to be kept in a warm room (slightly warmer than average room temperature). It will be out of sunlight and has a sink less than a meter away.
I do not intend on buying a heater, and obviously I have the restriction to the size of the tank. But the tank has the usual surface area for a 10 gallon tank.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could keep that will not burn to much of a hole in my wallet?
I like bottom Feeders (not necessarily algae eaters), while a small school of fish takes to my liking also. Maybe if anyone has a suggestion for a bottom feeder and small school of fish that get along and share the same habitat?

Thanks,
Joshy :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I have a cory and white cloud tank. 3 cories and 5 white clouds and lots of plants. Well actually the cories have bred and their are 10 now but they are all moving to a 29 gallon tank soon.

I would still geta heater and just set it super low. This prevents any low end temp spikes from occuring and can help warm the water after a water change (I use coldwater water changes as this spurs the white clouds and gets them very active).

My tank is set to run around 68F to 72F in a basement. The cories do well and the white clouds are the most colourful I have seen. Lots of water agitation and an open top will lead to cooler tank but more evaporation. A 10 gallon is easy to top off and do water changes for though.

reiverix

Aye
Sep 4, 2004
Columbus, OH
If you tank was just a tad bigger I'd suggest getting a stone loach as a bottom dweller. They are indigenous to the UK and are a fascinating little fish. I used to occassionally catch them in minnow traps. I'd always free them, but the minnows were doomed as pike bait :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store