10 Gallon Paludarium A Tribute

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
I would fill it with more sand to the bottom, add some java moss to the sides of the island so it can grow on it, and either get a newt with some guppies in the water or a couple of Fire belly toads.

kingearwig

Master Pond Snail Breeder
Jul 17, 2008
Indiana
s159.photobucket.com
Found plants in the ditch today. I know the spearhead. found 2 of those now. one was in flower... we'll see how it gets on I have it in 5 inches of water and it is coming out of the tank.
This one I think is Sagittaria sagittifolia

I think these are Ludwigia palustris[SIZE=+2]

[/SIZE]
a

I dont know what this one is some specie of Sagittaria I think

Look at this cool little grass I found do you have any idea what this could be. Remember that these are North West Indiana native.

[SIZE=+2][/SIZE][SIZE=+2]And here is the overview for the archives... I love coming back to these to see the growth.

[/SIZE]

kingearwig

Jul 17, 2008
Indiana
s159.photobucket.com
Moss to identify.

I would still like a confirmation on my plant ids... If some one would help that would be really cool.

also I have some moss now that I would like to identify but I can't even begin to find enough info on mosses to try to id them this one I found on a rock right by the water line.

This one has round leaves... I only found a little bit of this is was growing on rotting wood that seemed to be wicking water up to the top.

This one was growing in pretty dry conditions.

Any help you can give would be great I would love to propagate these mosses(and the plants shown earlier) as well as I possibly can and it would be very helpful if I could figure out their identities.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
The second "saggitaria" looks like a sword plant, I'm not sure what type. Did you find all of these out in the wild? Mosses will continue to grow if they are moist (not dripping wet) and have light. The string moss is just a regular moss, not sure what type of moss is the round leaf one though.

kingearwig

Jul 17, 2008
Indiana
s159.photobucket.com
Yeah and the round leaf one is the most interesting. I haven't ever really looked but I have never seen moss like this. So one thing that you are telling me that I was wondering about is that moss will not grow submerged? And yes All of this flora I have obtained from a drainage ditch here in Northwest indiana. This drainage ditch is probably 2-3 miles long before it winds its way to the Little Calumet River with drains into Lake Michigan after another mile or 2.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Moss will not grow underwater. It might stay alive for a few months, but eventually, it'll turn brown and start to rot. I don't think that is a type of ludwigia.

kingearwig

Jul 17, 2008
Indiana
s159.photobucket.com
Thanks man... I think she would be jealous that I never put this much work into her tank.

On a different note I have an invader in this tank. There were eggs in the sand I think I am going to try to get a picture of it later. They are small slow moving bugs. they kinda look like fleas but thicker. They hang on the stems of my plants just above the water line and sometimes on the undersides of the leaves. When knocked off into the water they float, and cannot be sank. When squished they will sink and the guppy will eat them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store