10 gallon plant lighting...Brains fried!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

meximan

AC Members
Dec 30, 2012
Ive decided to add some plants to my ten gallon to help control my tap water Nitrates ect..

Im just thinking of doing some anacharis, maybe java moss or dwarf hairgrass.

The crappy hood I have for my tank doesnt have a tube bulb but a 6" screw in bulb, so it needs to go.

my gf works for petsmart and i saw they had a marineland LED setup for around 40 dollars, thats sits on the glass top. On marinelands web page is said its around 300 lumens?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11000158&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No

Not sure if this would be adequate for plant growth.

OR if i should just get a t8 hood and use some 8-10k t8 coralightbulbs petsmart also sells..

Any suggestions?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
That Marineland is no good for plants, you would need their double bright fixture at a minimum to support low light plants. The T8 would be ok for low light plants as well, being the GF works at petsmart not sure what sort of discount she gets but may make the Aqueon T5 fixture worthwhile its a 2 bulb T5NO fixture I think 10g size one retails for like $50 at petsmart but you can find similar fixtures online for around $40. In a 10g that would let you do upto some higher end medium light plants.

Your incadescent screw in could work too just toss the bulb and buy a CFL screw in bulb rated at 5500k+ can sometimes find them at home depot, lowes or walmart, petsmart and petco sell them as well but usually for around $10+ the other places have them for $5 or less. The CFL would be about on par with a single T8 +/- depending on reflector quality.

shloken38

AC Members
Apr 24, 2012
Since you are sticking with low light, I would just buy the Aqueon hood/light at Petsmart/Petco. That's what I bought (for like 30 beans). It is 1 t8 bulb and does just fine. My plants grow great.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

meximan

AC Members
Dec 30, 2012
These are cool but it doesnt say anything about its par value on their site only the lumens?

I looked up the aqueon and its around 60 bucks + 20 for a glass top.

The CFL's look tempting because of the cost but my hood is cheap and doesnt have reflectors, and has some cheap plastic water sheild between teh bulb and the water?

BallAquatics

Fish Breeder
Oct 9, 2010
Central Ohio, USA
www.ballaquatics.com
Real Name
Dennis Ball
The CFL's look tempting because of the cost but my hood is cheap and doesnt have reflectors, and has some cheap plastic water sheild between teh bulb and the water?
Sounds just like the hoods I used, I think they were kit tanks that came with the inexpensive hoods. I just removed the plastic shields and installed the CF bulbs.

Dennis

BoCoMo

In need of grace
Mar 2, 2009
Missouri
Spiral CF is an extremely poorly designed bulb. Liner CF are a little better (you can get one of these from Wal-Mart if you want) Spiral will be bad with a reflector let alone without. I own the fixture I linked you to and I have it on a 6g with tons of success. I don't have my buddies par meter any longer or I would test it for you (I can try to get it again) but it has been a great fixture and I am slowly converting over to LED's on everything (although my display planted is still under PC - 6.5 wpg)

As for the marineland I have heard A LOT of negative feedback on them. How do you feel about a pendant hanging down over the tank or a gooseneck bulb holder? If that is good with you (I personally like them) I would also suggest looking into a single Par38 bulb near the 6500k temp

meximan

AC Members
Dec 30, 2012
Isnt removing the plastic water sheild kinda risky, with water evap ect?

bocomo- a single par38 bulb? is that a brand or specification? Is that website the only place to purchse the led bulb setup, or is it in retail stores somewhere?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store