10g Stocking Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dystopian Deer

Registered Member
Oct 19, 2017
I have plans to set up a 10g that I have for my 4-year-old to enjoy (obviously all tank maintenance and feeding is on me) and I wanted to start him off fairly simply. If that's even a thing. I've done some reading on my main fish choices and I'd like opinions from people that have actually had these fish before I even think about cycling the tank. So, here are the fish I need the pros and cons of: mollies, Swordtails, platies, Danios, and Neon Tetra.

I'm also trying to find some correct information on how big Ghost Catfish get and what their diet is like. Not for the same tank, mind you. Not unless it's ok to have them in a 10g tank with a few of any of the above. I haven't had fish in a long time and I want to start things off right for them.

Dystopian Deer

Registered Member
Oct 19, 2017
Well, mollies are out since they do best in brackish water. Or maybe they need it to survive. Nothing I've read has been clear on that.

Last edited:
Reactions: ehsandehaghi

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
mollies, Swordtails, platies, Danios, and Neon Tetra
Mollies, platies and swordtails all need tanks bigger than 10 gallons. I would recommend a 20 long for platies and maybe a 29 or 40 gallon for mollies and sword tails. These fish are schooling fish that need larger groups and more swimming area than a 10 gallon allows for.
Neons, are easy to get your hands on, don't require anything special, are colourful and they are cheap. However, they are not very hardy if bought from the big box stores. They would be suitable for a 10 gallon tank. Though if it is for a 4 year old a single betta might be a better option.

Ghost Catfish get and what their diet is like
Ghost cats get about 3-4 inches and need groups of 6 or more. They'll take flake for frozen food, though you may have to train them on it. They're rather skittish if in smaller groups and like good cover in the tanks. I would suggest at least a 40 breeder for a school of them.

Dystopian Deer

Registered Member
Oct 19, 2017
Mollies, platies and swordtails all need tanks bigger than 10 gallons. I would recommend a 20 long for platies and maybe a 29 or 40 gallon for mollies and sword tails. These fish are schooling fish that need larger groups and more swimming area than a 10 gallon allows for.
Neons, are easy to get your hands on, don't require anything special, are colourful and they are cheap. However, they are not very hardy if bought from the big box stores. They would be suitable for a 10 gallon tank. Though if it is for a 4 year old a single betta might be a better option.

Ghost cats get about 3-4 inches and need groups of 6 or more. They'll take flake for frozen food, though you may have to train them on it. They're rather skittish if in smaller groups and like good cover in the tanks. I would suggest at least a 40 breeder for a school of them.
Thanks for the info! Neons it is. I have a LFS that carries them, thankfully The tank is also for me to get back into fishkeeping, though I'm not against owning a beta. I have more tanks on the way from a family friend that ended up with a bunch, but I have no idea on the size of any of them. I'm hoping for something larger than a 10, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome to the site!

How do you intend to establish a nitrogen cycle in this 10g? Once that's all in order, 10-12 Neons would be great in a 10g if that's the only fish in there. Keep in mind Neons do best in cooler water, so depending on the ambient temperature of the room they're kept in, you may not need a heater.

Dystopian Deer

Registered Member
Oct 19, 2017
Welcome to the site!

How do you intend to establish a nitrogen cycle in this 10g? Once that's all in order, 10-12 Neons would be great in a 10g if that's the only fish in there. Keep in mind Neons do best in cooler water, so depending on the ambient temperature of the room they're kept in, you may not need a heater.
It was in progress when I asked about stocking. When it was over I somehow got talked into 3 Red Eye and 3 Black Skirt Tetras that ended up going back a week later because I absolutely could not deal with their fin nipping and hiding. We swapped them for 4 male guppies that I love. They've been far more active and entertaining to have.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store