10g Stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

InvaderJim

Still a Newbie
Mar 13, 2006
Gainesville, FL
I am gonna start cycling a new 10g tank to move my tetra and platy into so I can free up my 55g for a Cichlid community and I was looking to add some new additions to the family. The tank is going to be my gf's so she is going to have some say-so in the fish that go in it. So far in the tank there is:

2 Gold Skirt Tetra
2 Red Eye Tetra
1 Mickey Mouse Platy

I was thinking about adding an Angel, 2 or 3 Red Velvet Swordtails, an Apple snail or 2 or maybe some guppies. I'm kinda stumped on what to put in there at the moment.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
I would add 1 more of each tetra species and that's it, a 10g really isn't big enough for two species of schooling fishes. I think your gonna have to settle for the fish you have now left in the 55g and only getting peacefull cichlid species like apistogrammas (probably rams and cockatoos), kribenes, and angels, as well as increaseing the tetra school sizes to atleast 6 each.

If you do go through with this, and decide you can keep more fish than that in a 10g, the ones you suggested are for the most part inapropriate; angels and swords get to big, apple snails get a shell that is 2 inch in length,and guppies although a 10g is big enough for them, they will quickly over populate it.

DF

Last edited:

Ms.Bubbles

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
I use the inch-per-gallon rule for stocking, and I feel you're already passed your limit with the fish you've mentioned:

2 gold skirts (=4 ")
2 red eye tetras (=6")
1 platy (=2")
TOTAL = 12" for a 10 gallon tank

The fact that some of these fish species require more than a 10 gallon tank for swimming space anyways indicates to me that you should definitely not be adding more.

nerdyguy83

AC Members
May 11, 2006
Erie, PA, US
If you only get male guppies, they obviously can't breed and overpopulate the tank. A bright, colorful male fancy guppy is a good addition to any community tank in my opinion. Supposedly, without a female, the male will try to breed with any other females of the right size in a tank. I have never seen it, but that could be a factor if you don't want your tetras harrassed. I agree that your tetras are schooling fish at heart, so getting more of them will be your best bet since anything else will simply intimidate and overcrowd them. Definitely no angels or anything else that gets big. If you have questions, just ask your dealer or look around online. It is pretty easy to find minimum tank size for all common fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store