120g temperate aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Hello all, I'm in the early days of my aquarium right now but I'm looking for some suggestions.
I am currently running the aquarium at 21 C
with a strong well oxygenated current and several small plants (limnophilia, Java fern and Xmas Moss.)
Here is my current stocking and their temperature requirements:

x6 Aplocheilus panchax - 20-25 C
x1 Fundulopanchax gardneri 20-26 C
x1 Crossocheilus reticulatus 16-24 C
x11Pimephales promelas 10-25 C

lots of room with my 4x2x2 footprint. I am thinking of getting some more Gardneri Killies but this was the only one they had.
I am looking to stock more cold tolerant species that will get along well with my current stocking. I am just trying killis now for the first time and I would love to get some more if anyone can make some good recommendations.
Here are few species I was considering:

Hoplosternum catfish 16-28 C
Corydoras Paleatus 15-25 C
Tanichthys albonubes 14-22 C (white clouds)
Goodeids (good shoaling livebearer that typically does well around 21-24 C

Here are some that I am unsure about

Gymnogeophagus Balzanii (likes it a little warmer than other Gymnos)
Gymnogeophagus Gymnogenys (cool down period may be too low for my panchax)
Bloodfin tetra (will they play nice with killis)
Buenos Aires (too rowdy? may possibly steal food)
danios (too rowdy and will steal food)
Panda Corys (like it acidic and my water will be somewhat hard)

Just looking for some opinions and suggestions :)
Thanks,
Rafini

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
There are many corys that might work, check planetcatfish, paleatus should be good & underrated, I like them. I don't remember their water needs but panda garras are wonderful.

How's your flow rate? I love my sewellia lineolata! They seem less fussy as to params than many hillstream loaches; gastromyzon?...stiphodon gobies? That's pretty much my riverish tank with leopard danios & Vietnamese whiteclouds, lol! You know, me & loaches!

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
I just got a brand new Hydor 600 on the tank. its rated at 360gph and up to 150g aquarium. it shoots the water 3' across the tank with the jets so my flow is pretty high but not too much as to bother the fish. The panchax seem to like playing in the flow.
The minnows were in there to keep the bacteria alive while I switched to my new filter and I decided to keep them because they do an excellent job eating detritus from the bottom of the tank.

The Corys I found that can handle the lowest temps are
Corydoras Paleatus 15-25
Corydoras trinineatus 16-25
corydoras zygatus 16-25

Paleatus is the only one I've seen commonly available and it would be the most responsible choice as I know my water wont stress them out.

My tank is 24" high and the water comes in at the top I think the hillstream loaches like to sit in the current all the time right? if so I am thinking they might not have access to the outflow because of the depth.
White clouds are a very good choice I think, they seem to bother nothing and apparently breed easily.
Do you have any pictures of your set up?

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Sewellia like lots of current but will often hang out in the calmer areas. Mine have been spawning since 2012. I have gastromyzons as well but no spawns that I know of...my tank is a 125 gal river tank that has been converted from strictly gobies and hillstreams to more of a community set up. Still have the hillstreams.

Mark

Reactions: fishorama

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
My sewllia don't worry about the water flow but they don't mind it either. I also have gastromyzon ctenocephalus (x 3), & 2 species of stiphodon gobies

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Do stiphodon gobies also like it cooler? I hadn`t even considered them.
Those are two different species of hillstream type loaches correct? I was under the impression that it might be cruel to keep them without too much flow. I guess its better than them being in a low flow tropical temp tank at the LFS though lol

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I kept stiphodon semoni and rhinogobius zhoui; both of which liked cooler temps and high flow, high oxygen. To encourage gsp and red algae growth I kept the photoperiod at around 12 hrs. There are several species lumped together in the group call hillstreams. As the name implies, they come from highly-oxygenated steams from mountainous areas.

Mark

Bunsen Honeydew

AC Members
Feb 22, 2017
You might be able to find Corydoras trilineatus, just look for the ones labeled as Julii.. That's how I got mine.

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Hey Bunsen, do the trilineatus like it cooler too?

Wesleydnunder, I wasn`t aware there were so many. I have only ever really seen two or three available. I do have additional powerheads and an air pump.

Stiphodon, hillstreams and cories will all play nice together I assume?
My tank is sitting at 21 room temp so not even using the heater right now. I`m looking forward to keeping these fish at more appropriate temps than most aquarists would

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store