125g Build Thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ram303

AC Members
Nov 17, 2007
darwin australia
Hi AC2020x I really like your setup. although i am a little confused did you want a predator tank or a community tank.
if you want a predator tank then fish like a Coriss wrasse, blue/green chromis, or Anthia's
will only wind up as food for your eel. also a lion fish would be fine in a tank like yours
although volitan do grow quite large maybe a zebra lion, or spot-fin lion.
i had a brown Morey and a zebra lion together for 2 years and they where fine
although a couple of times my moray did take a piece out of the lion, but all in all great fish. especially hand feeding the moray.
oh and my lion fish only took live fish. Which lucky for me i have an endless supply, local boat ramp lol......
a Niger trigger, and a fox faced rabbit fish would be my choice along with the eel an lion........
whatever you choose it looks great sofar.....

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Isn't he talking about a snowflake eel? Aren't they one of the smallest/most peaceful of the eels? The ones I see in stores are usually the diameter of a pencil when they come in, little babies, but it would take a loooong time for it to grow up big enough to eat a coris wrasse or any of the other "community" type fish. If he was talking about a moray or even a wolf eel then I would definately question the smaller fish. I think the stocking list is fine with the types of fish listed so far... just my opinion of course.

AC2020x

AC Members
Dec 31, 2008
State College, PA
correct about the snowflake eel, I don't think it would eat the coris wrasse as long as the coris isn't a baby and the eel isn't full grown. The wrasse or maybe a large angel will probably be the least aggressive fish in my tank. And from what I've heard they should be fine as long as the snowflake can't fit them in his mouth. Or maybe a puffer, because I want a puffer so badly I think i've ruled a lionfish out. Otherwise I think I would def get one!

I'm still not sure on my stocking list my I have the next 2 months or so to figure it out before adding my first fish so all in all i'm good!

ram303

AC Members
Nov 17, 2007
darwin australia
Average Size:

Attains at least three feet (36 inches) in length.
Minimum Tank Size Suggested:

No less than 75 gallons, because it can outgrow a small aquarium in a rather short period of time.
Characteristics and Compatibility:

Although considered to be less-aggressive than other saltwater morays, the Snowflake Eel can become very pugnacious at feeding time. With poor eyesight but a keen sense of smell, when food is detected it emerges from hiding and aggressively searches it out. This moray is best kept with similar in nature aggressive fish species, and ones larger in size than the eel to discourage predation. Can live communally with other eels if plenty of room and shelter is provided. However, an established resident my become aggressive towards a newly added smaller eel, sometimes resulting in cannibalism.
Diet and Feeding:

A predatory bottom-dweller, this carnivore will actively go in search of food. With blunt teeth for crushing its favorite prey, crustaceans, the Snowflake Eel also eats fish. Juvenile and adult specimens alike readily adapt to aquarium life, accepting all types of fresh and frozen fares including clam, crab, shrimp, squid, scallop and fish meat. Usually if well fed, by feeding several times a week of an amount of food to satisfy the eel's appetite, it ignores other tank inhabitants. It is not uncommon for eels to go into a "hybernation" period, often hiding and not eating for several weeks, or longer.
Reef Tank Suitability:

Not considered reef safe. Will eat crustaceans and fish tankmates.

Although I have not kept a snowflake eel myself, they did have one in the LFS for a very long time, about 2ft long. 6 cromis lasted 2 weeks in his tank.

AC2020x

AC Members
Dec 31, 2008
State College, PA
I've got a couple of questions about water testing?

Here's what I have
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
PH
Alkalinity/ carbonate hardness- I have one for each- are they the same? what the difference?
Calcium
Phosphate

Thats what I have- is there anything else I should/need to have? Also what should my levels be for them? Specifically the last three?
Thanks alot!

ram303

AC Members
Nov 17, 2007
darwin australia
that should just about cover is AC2020x
Amonia should be 0 as to nitrite,phosphate, and nitrate.
calcium should be around 400ppm I think. it depends on your coral load.
I dont have much coral so i dont check it very often in my tank.
PH should be 8.3-8.4
As for the differance between ALK and KH im sory i dont now that one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store