125g Closed Loop Setup help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

adstudio3d

AC Members
Jun 8, 2007
Need some help setting up my 125

I'm going to use 3 nu-clear modular filters 1 with pads and carbon, 2 for bio material.

How to setup the plumbing?
The tank has THREE 1 1/2" holes drilled in it, 2 of them are on the side of the tank halfway down, and the third hole is in the back, 3 quarters of the way to the bottom...

Option 1
build internal overflow/surface skimmer for the 2 drain holes on the side, through filters and return back into tank from hole in back.

Option 2
Use all 3 holes as a drain and pump water back into tank through a DIY spray bar.

Option 3
Split the return line to return half the water through the back hole and the other half through the spray bar.

Any better Ideas??

Any idea for a pump that is quiet and pumps a lot of water? was thinking "Quiet One 6000" Can anyone recommend this?

And any cheap ideas to keep the heaters and Co2 parts out of the tank too.

Please help

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I have a quiet 1 6000

it is pretty quiet .. I use it on my 110 marine tank it is submerged in the fuge.

1.5" holes are pretty good sized.

I need to do more research in closed loops to give you any ideas there.
I am considering a closed loop myself.

tho the ones I have seen are drilled in the bottom ctr with a stand pipe set up.

adstudio3d

AC Members
Jun 8, 2007
These holes were already drilled when I got the tank from a shop going out of business...

There are just so many ways to plumb the system that I'm not sure which would be the best 2way to go due to the odd placement of the holes.

Star - how long have you been using the quiet one for? Any problems? I would be running it external tho so not sure if there is a huge difference in its performance.

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
I would just set up a wet/dry, use the two holes on the side of the tank for overflows and the hole on the back of the tank as the return. You can then hide all of your heaters and other equipment in the sump.

adstudio3d

AC Members
Jun 8, 2007
I'm trying to stay away from the sump setup which is why I wanted to go closed loop... I'd rather not worry about flooding if the electric shuts off. and I'd rather not put a very large sump under the tank incase it decides to drain from the return line...

The only exception to this would be to put a small 10gal above the water level 125 (if I can drill the side) and pumpwater into it from the 125, put the heaters, Co2, and some more bio material or whatever in it... but this would only be in addition to the closed loop

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I would scrap the overflow idea if you're going to be adding CO2. Just plumb the system you described through the two more accessible holes and block off the unused one. Or if you feel the need split the return.

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
I'm trying to stay away from the sump setup which is why I wanted to go closed loop... I'd rather not worry about flooding if the electric shuts off. and I'd rather not put a very large sump under the tank incase it decides to drain from the return line...
That won't happen, the water will only drain to the level that you set your overflow to and the return won't back syphon if you put a syphon break in just under the top of the water level. All a closed loop is going to do is give you water circulation (it's like having a external powerhead).

adstudio3d

AC Members
Jun 8, 2007
well, with one of the holes in the tank being towards the bottom of the tank, any water above that hole will drain into the sump... And I want to stay away from having an ugly 1.5" pvc pipe running up the middle of the tank. There is a good 90 gallons of water above that hole so I'd need a HUGE sump or pvc in the middle of the tank. :barf:

That won't happen, the water will only drain to the level that you set your overflow to and the return won't back syphon if you put a syphon break in just under the top of the water level. All a closed loop is going to do is give you water circulation (it's like having a external powerhead).

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
well, with one of the holes in the tank being towards the bottom of the tank, any water above that hole will drain into the sump... And I want to stay away from having an ugly 1.5" pvc pipe running up the middle of the tank. There is a good 90 gallons of water above that hole so I'd need a HUGE sump or pvc in the middle of the tank. :barf:
Or you could place the internal overflow so that it uses that hole for the drain.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store