125g - internal filtration only - possible?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishInMaryland

AC Members
Sep 30, 2004
Davidsonville, MD
Long story, with leaky canister, hardwood floors, angry husband...bottom line is that if I want to set up my 125g tank again, I have to figure out a way to use internal fiiltration only.

I was thinking of using two Fluval U4s, but they are rated at only 340 gph, so together I would only get 680 gph (do you really get double turnover with 2x filters?), or 5.4x turnover per hour, which I don't think is enough, especially for African cichlids. My choice of fish is limited, too, because of the parameters of our water.

Does anybody have any suggestions, other than a third internal filter, to somehow boost the gph of the two U4s that I have in mind? Would a powerhead or two (the Koralias are pretty small) help?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Ruth

Last edited:

JK47

VERITAS A?QUITAS
Sep 1, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Real Name
Justin
Have you considered using sponge filters? I ran my 125g with 7 large cichlids on sponge alone (3 Hydor V models) for months with flawless perams. I love sponges. I use mainly FX5 canisters on my large tanks but have ran them on sponge alone for quite a while as well. Adding a powerhead to a sponge is a great addition and they are cheap. Hydor V is one of my favorites.

FishInMaryland

AC Members
Sep 30, 2004
Davidsonville, MD
JK47 - I'll look into the sponges. I'm curious, though, since you said that you ran your 125g for months - why not longer? Is this not a good long-term solution?

Farmhand - Wow, very interesting. I'd be hesitant for my first attempt at a DSB to use a 125g tank. I also think that I'd run into problems with the cichlids, because they are diggers and plant eaters. Nevertheless, I appreciate your help.

JK47

VERITAS A?QUITAS
Sep 1, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Real Name
Justin
JK47 - I'll look into the sponges. I'm curious, though, since you said that you ran your 125g for months - why not longer? Is this not a good long-term solution?
Go for it, people have been using sponges for ages and they are VERY strong bio filters and very cheap. They are long term. I pulled mine out to set up a double 55 gallon rack. One filter each tank and left the last filter in the 125g with the FX5, that was the plan all along. I already had the FX5 just no media so I just couldn't leave an empty canister lying around now could I. ;) I always keep cycled sponges on hand too because you can pull them out and add to a QT tank quickly and easily and BAM, cycled hospital tank.

EDIT: Here is a link for you. :)
http://www.aquariumguys.com/hydrosponge2.html

Last edited:

JK47

VERITAS A?QUITAS
Sep 1, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Real Name
Justin
I dug up an old pic for you. This tank was set up this way for about 6 months or so with nothing other than the three sponges a heater and weekly WC's. Perfect perams. Only one of the sponges used a powerhead. The fish in the pics below are no longer in this tank but you get the idea of the bioload they can support easily. Since then I have, scaped it and turned it into a blackwater tank for geos cichlids with sand wood etc.

PB300311.JPG

PB300311.JPG

JK47

VERITAS A?QUITAS
Sep 1, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Real Name
Justin
Yahoo...finally something easy AND cheap!! I think that aquarium-keeping is right up there with boats and pools for being an ever-increasing complex money-pit!

You've convinced me. I'll try the sponges! Thanks. :thm:
No worries, glad to help. :grinno: Power filters are great but in your case these will be your best friend.

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
In case you change your mind about the sponges, here is a link to a DIY internal filter:http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171231

It is ugly but you could probably hide it with something.

I have not tried it but it seems like it should work and on the last page of the thread the maker of the filter updated and said it is working.

EDIT: If you do go with sponge filters, I would suggest the new Hydor sponge pro's, and I would use a power head to power them. The pro's have better flow rates.
Link:http://kensfish.com/aticompletefilters.html

By the way, I have heard Kensfish has great prices and is a good website to do business with.

Last edited:

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
I've set up a couple tank with internal filtration. One alternative is to use UG filter plates with a layer of bulk (pond) filter media over them with some gravel and rocks to cover it. I rigged up aquaclear powerheads (one on each plate) with pvc elbows and some vinyl tubing to run the UG filter plates reverse-flow. More of the bulk filter media wrapped around the plastic cores of quickfilter attachments to help support the powerheads and keep the impellers from clogging. You can also use air-driven sponge filter/s to help circulate the water and collect debris.
Set up like that nothing collects under the UG filter plates, and it's easy enough to rinse out the quickfilters and sponges when doing partial water changes.
Essentially it's the same principle as the mattenfilter, except that the media is on the bottom of the tank instead of one end. Either way, you have a fantastic amount of surface area for permanent biological filtration. The filter media over the plates has been in place in my 55 for over 5 years now, and it is still relatively clean.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store