125g set up, need help on a light fixture

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
I set up my 125g this weekend. I am using stability for a couple of weeks to see how it
goes. Tank has a sump and pfs for substrate, planted the plants with root tabs, I dose Excel and PPS PRO (macro's) daily (previous post). Pics:

FTS:

Left Side will house Multi's:

Right Side will house Alto Sumbu's:

Middle will house Calvus:

I might add some top swimmers, just haven't decided on which ones yet.

The tank came with two 36" CF 65W 50/50's, way too blue for my tastes and really does nothing for the plants. The back of the tank is painted black, looks blue with the 50/50's on it. I have several options I've been mulling around:

1- Keep the CF fixtures and replace the bulbs with 6500K. Not loving this idea as for plant health, I'd have to replace the bulbs yearly. But then again, depending on who digs where, in a few months, I might not have many plants left.

2- Replace the entire fixture with a T5NO fixture like this, not sure this is enough light given the tank is 23" high:

http://www.alphaprobreeders.com/pro...--36"-Double-T5-Light-System-%2d-21W-x-2.html

3- Replace fixture with a T5HO, which is the most expensive route.

I need help deciding here. Thanks!

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
One reason people tend to like PC bulbs is because you replace them yearly as opposed to the every 6 months you're supposed to replace fluorescent "T" bulbs. However, the PC bulbs are also much more expensive. I've actually found T5HO fixtures to be comparable in price with PC (though more than T5NO), and plan to one day switch out the PC fixtures on all my planted tanks with T5HO fixtures. I also like the quality of the light better, though I couldn't say exactly why.

A bit of advice, always get your bulbs online. Every one of the LFS & chains in my area sells PC bulbs for between 2-4 times what you can find them for online. T5HO doesn't have nearly the markup, but you can still find them a bit cheaper online as well.

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
I have read you don't have to replace your T5HO bulbs for 5-7 years, hence I have 3 other planted tanks with T5HO fixtures on them. But I'm not sure the cost of a new T5 fixture will be worth it. I can replace all of the CF bulbs for 60$, compared to a new T5HO fixture, which is about 250$ (catalinaaquarium.com). I'm considering the T5NO fixture due to price, but I'm not sure the NO fixture would be enough light given the 125g height of 23".

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
I've seen some charts of light output on older bulbs and for the cost of new bulbs on both my pc and t5ho fixtures, I'll just leave the bulbs in them till they blow.

There's a few new catalina fixtures on ebay for a little bit less, around $215, which isnt bad considering it has mounting legs and moonlights.
http://compare.ebay.com/like/260726...fd11a6f&itemid=260726792312&ff4=263602_309572
Or if you are into gambling you could go with 2 of these
http://cgi.ebay.com/36-T5-HO-Aquari...535?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f9804d07

I've never used these fixtures but the price makes it tempting.

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
Jeta, if you read my other posts, I only buy catalinaaquarium.com T5 fixtures, I trust them, the co and their bulbs. I have that exact fixture on my watch list on ebay, I am soooo tempted to buy it. Just thought I'd get opinions from others first (I also posted on a planted tank site and cichlid site). My fear is the light intensity, why I was considering the T5NO fixture. This tank is not a heavily planted tank. What do you think of T5NO fixtures for a tank 23" high?

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
It'd probably put you where you want to be if you don't plan on pressurized co2. I like catalinas fixtures but I go wherever there is the best quality and best price. Fishneedit and AH supply has some high quality fixtures as well.

Ajno

Registered Member
Jul 17, 2008
Pc bulbs aren't as spendy as they used to be. I bought some on Amazon for 7-8 bucks a piece. A lot better than when they were 30-40 a piece. I have a light kit from AH Supply and when I have it up I'll poat pics for you, but I love their kits. I've had 4 different kits and they have the best reflectors.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
T5HO bulbs will last for 5-7 years, but they will lose their effectiveness for growing plants long before that, or so I've read about fluorescent bulbs, and hadn't seen anything saying T5HO is any different. I'll have to look into that. If it's true they are effective for that long, I will be a very happy camper! I haven't personally been using them for long enough to find out if they lose their kick yet, as I originally had all PC fixtures, and only recently purchased my first T5HO fixture.

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
I've read T5HO bulbs do NOT lose their effectiveness for growing plants for 5-7 years, they burn out before they "need" to be replaced. That said, where I read it, or who said it, I can not remember. I don't plan on replacing my T5's until I see the need or they burn out.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
After a quick Google search, I found a dozen or so sites that all agreed on a maximum of 2 years effectiveness before degradation of T5HO light output in planted tanks.

Still, much longer than the 1 year for PC bulbs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store