12g aquapod question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

got2envy

I'm not skurred.
Dec 20, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Maria
i have 2 false percs in my 12 nc...they aren't agressive swimmers..everything i read says it is ok ;)

Sonicblast12

AC Members
Aug 9, 2006
I had a pair, one killed the other. I wasn't too heartbroken because I felt I was overstocked and should have known better than to put the pair in a 12g. But we know how that goes, logic tends to fly out the window at the fish store.

I should have paid closer attention at the store because I have a suspicion they weren't the same species. But they're such little squirts I didn't notice the differences until they were under the bright lights.

So I'm on the fence whether I should get another. But if I do, I'm wondering if it should be bigger (or smaller) than the bully.

got2envy

I'm not skurred.
Dec 20, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Maria
I bought a smaller one first..then a bigger one about 2 weeks later, they really aren't that big maybe 3 inches..no problems..also got them from 2 diffrent LFS's

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
If you do end up getting them then I would very young ones (1"-1.7"). They will end up needing a larger tank down the road because the female will grow large and aggressive. My single false perc female ended up outgrowing her 10G by herself.

Its very hard to get the weaker clownfish to survive when there is aggression. For some strange reason clownfish don't like to hide in between rocks (or at least most don't). So the little one ends up being chased all over the tank with no breaks. Which means no recovery period. So if you see continuous stress then I would separate them.

Sonicblast12

AC Members
Aug 9, 2006
I did take the chance and picked up another false perc this afternoon. Picked out the biggest healthiest looking one. (Still small, probably less than an inch) Thought it would end up being bigger than the bully, but they are about the same size.

Fully expected conflict after acclimation...none. The bully hasn't shown an ounce of aggression and they've already buddied up and are exploring the tank together. I wonder if my suspicion was correct, the other clown might have been a different species. I never could get a good shot of him (since he was more concerned about getting his eye plucked out), but was a darker orange and lacked the black trim on his fins.

Enough rambling, no excuse for a thread being this long without blurry pictures to go with it.

And after exploring the tank for a couple of hours, the picture below shows their preferred hangout. Naturally.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store