135 Gallon Stocking 72x18x24 With Common Pleco

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think I'd go with 8-10 congos & 15 black neons. Or skip the neons & just go with 12 congos.

The "usual" way to get a pair is to get 6 young fish & see what pair(s) might form. You do know almost no eggs or fry will survive a community tank right? It's still fun to watch. Then see what happens with the "extra" angels. With enough decor to break up territories/sight lines you might be able to keep them all together, your tank is bigger than mine was.

Tirethetiretrackeel

AC Members
Aug 3, 2022
I think I'd go with 8-10 congos & 15 black neons. Or skip the neons & just go with 12 congos.

The "usual" way to get a pair is to get 6 young fish & see what pair(s) might form. You do know almost no eggs or fry will survive a community tank right? It's still fun to watch. Then see what happens with the "extra" angels. With enough decor to break up territories/sight lines you might be able to keep them all together, your tank is bigger than mine was.
So how about 10 Congos and 10 Black Neons and 10 Peppered Corries, and should I get 4 more small Angles? Yes, I know they won't survive, I'm not an expert but this I still my 5th tank.. (Though Only 3 Are Running Right Now)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Just 2 angels & you risk having them fight sometimes, even fatally, especially if both are males. But your tank is big & they're growing up together, might be fine. Again, decor to break up the tank will help.

We were give 2 adult angels, both female & they acted like a pair. They laid eggs together & then ate them. We got a small hopefully male. He flirted like crazy but they were set in their ways. They weren't very aggressive to him but didn't let him near the eggs either.

If you really want angel fry, you'll need a compatible M & F pair (of course, lol) & say a 29g tank for them to breed in. Then after fry are free swimming & parents lose interest in caring for them in a week or 2, remove the parents & raise the fry. It's a lot of work, very frequent tiny feedings & water changes.

Ya know, I would go with both more corys & more black neons, 12-15 of each. Bigger groups have a more interesting dynamic. 10 congos seems like a good number, they're fairly large at 3 inches or so. Fantastic colors!

Tirethetiretrackeel

AC Members
Aug 3, 2022
Just 2 angels & you risk having them fight sometimes, even fatally, especially if both are males. But your tank is big & they're growing up together, might be fine. Again, decor to break up the tank will help.

We were give 2 adult angels, both female & they acted like a pair. They laid eggs together & then ate them. We got a small hopefully male. He flirted like crazy but they were set in their ways. They weren't very aggressive to him but didn't let him near the eggs either.

If you really want angel fry, you'll need a compatible M & F pair (of course, lol) & say a 29g tank for them to breed in. Then after fry are free swimming & parents lose interest in caring for them in a week or 2, remove the parents & raise the fry. It's a lot of work, very frequent tiny feedings & water changes.

Ya know, I would go with both more corys & more black neons, 12-15 of each. Bigger groups have a more interesting dynamic. 10 congos seems like a good number, they're fairly large at 3 inches or so. Fantastic colors!
Alright thanks, so big groups and 4 total angels or keep just 2?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Are your angels of 1 or 2 varieties you'd like to breed if they should pair up? You know about genetic inheritence "squares"? Look that up. It will give you an idea of what to expect from first & second generations but lots of variations are possible.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, then you might not care so much about the genetic inheritence thing...& that's ok. Were I you, I'd just let the dice roll & see what happens with your 2 angels & tetra additions. You've got a big tank & time...see where it goes!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store