150 wood and glass tank build thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

scootrnerd

just another average loser
Jan 5, 2008
florida
www.myspace.com
These plywood tank builds intrigue me... I want to build an indoor pond for FW stingrays someday, and am curious why nobody has contact cemented a pond liner to the inside of a plywood tank? It seems like this idea is not even considered most often. Is this a bad idea or something?
i did consider that but not sure how silicone would adhere to the liner especially in the front around the glass. 150 gallons is allot of water to have leak out or burst. trust me i know! but thats a different thread lol

scootrnerd

Jan 5, 2008
florida
www.myspace.com
i didn't get as much done as i would have liked on the tank because we had a parent/player softball game which the parents won YES! we beat a bunch of 10 year olds! and i built a fuge for someone but that another thread lol. i got all the knot holes sanded and installed some L brackets in all four corners of the front frame. i also picked up the fiberglass cloth and the epoxy paint. and i did get the m.s.d.s on it. after curing (1 week) it is not toxic it even says on the can "can be used for water tanks and ponds"

S6300057.JPG

S6300058.JPG

S6300059.JPG

S6300056.JPG

S6300057.JPG S6300058.JPG S6300059.JPG S6300056.JPG

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Looking good scooter.. Mind me asking how much the stuff cost?

scootrnerd

Jan 5, 2008
florida
www.myspace.com
Looking good scooter.. Mind me asking how much the stuff cost?
:perv::perv::perv: how dare you mention money!:nono::nono::nono: j/k so far

wood 30.00
paint 25.00 (need another)
fiberglass 15.00
paint brushes and rollers 15.00
L brackets 8.00
thats dollars to all my friends from other lands
glass already had
screws already had
tools already had

i think i am going to need at least one more can of paint though

RLGirlPolo

Only Wears Diamonds...
Jan 31, 2008
Oakville, CT
These plywood tank builds intrigue me... I want to build an indoor pond for FW stingrays someday, and am curious why nobody has contact cemented a pond liner to the inside of a plywood tank? It seems like this idea is not even considered most often. Is this a bad idea or something?
When you say pond liner I would assume you are refering to vinyl liners that are also use for pools. I don't have any experience w/ pond liners (so I could be totally wrong)but would assume they would be made with vinyl and if that is the case I do have experience with pool liners since in one of my past jobs I worked for a pool company. In my experience we would have issues in keeping the ph constant in the pools with vinyl liners and every so often would need to add a pH Up to the pools to raise the pH. The problem being the chemicals in the vinyl would leach and slowly drop the pH in the pool. It wasn't a major problem in the pool industry but I could see where it might be a problem for a fish tank. With that being said, pond liners might not be made with the same material the pool liners are.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
:perv::perv::perv: how dare you mention money!:nono::nono::nono: j/k so far

wood 30.00
paint 25.00 (need another)
fiberglass 15.00
paint brushes and rollers 15.00
L brackets 8.00
thats dollars to all my friends from other lands
glass already had
screws already had
tools already had

i think i am going to need at least one more can of paint though
Not bad. I was expecting the paint to be like 50 bucks a gallon though. I watch your thread from now for a long while with interest..

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
looks great, can't wait to see the glass fitted and the water for the leak test.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Pond liners are EPDM rubber and are inert.

Lookin good Scooter, keep it up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store