1st tank! Quick question!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
A Botia is the type of fish I was thinking about. Sorry. That might be a good idea.
Still probably won't work (Clown Loaches are a type of botia). Maybe some of the smaller breeds, but botia/loaches can have tricky requirements. Depending on the type you run into the problems of size, activity, or water requirements.

Kuhli's are about the only common loach breeds I'd suggest for a 10g.

Tiger Barbs are gonna be tricky in there. A bigger group will be needed, but a bigger group would really be pushing it for that tank. They are rather active fish also, so a 10g isn't really ideal. Not that the 3 won't work in there but depending on the personality of the individuals, it could limit what they are willing to live with. I've never had a problem personally with them fin-nipping, but they do have a reputation for doing it a lot.

Plague

O.o
Aug 4, 2010
Miami, Fl
I feel 10g is too small for a tiger barb too. They are very active. Some people use a 10g for a grow out tank then add them to a bigger tank. :huh:

Mike4155

AC Members
Feb 15, 2011
Miami
Real Name
Mike "Captain America" Houston
Humm ok. Thanks for the suggestions. Guess its time to start saving up for a bigger tank lol.

Mike4155

AC Members
Feb 15, 2011
Miami
Real Name
Mike "Captain America" Houston
Another question; about how long should I wait if I want to introduce more fish? I don't want to over load my filter system.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
I'd wait a week or so. Really it depends on how much you want to add. Keep an eye on your parameters and when they're stable (ie... no nitrites or amonia consistently for a few days), it should be safe to add a few more.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
I would recommend the api liquid test kits. Strips are hard to read and notoriously error prone.

Sparkxx

AC Members
Jan 30, 2010
Scotland *shivers*
welcome to AC!
as others have suggested, uppping your tiger barb numbers is probably the best choice. Once you get a bigger tank good tankmates for these guys are other semi-aggressive fish and danios (at least from what I have heard)

EDIT: also I agree with the above post about the test kit :dance:

platyNMollyLove

Registered Member
Sep 11, 2010
barbs can go wit glo fish mollies and platys i also got a pleco wit my 2 tiger barbs and a albino one and they are fine together.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store