2 sun sun 704b or one FX6?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Yea there was an interesting paper (which i cannot find) that researched different media for effective bio filtration and sponge 20ppi and 30ppi were extremely effective far more effective than all commonly available bio-balls. The only thing that was significantly better than sponge was k1 media in an mbr (sorry adding it to your canister filter isn't going to do much good).

For my classic 2215, I swapped out all the ehiem bio media for blue coarse sponge disks. It's got like 7 of them stacked bottom to top. To me it's simpler that way and easier to clean. My penn plax 1500 is just coarse sponge in each tray as well.

I always pre-fill my canisters with water before I snap the tops back on. I fill them to the point water wants to squirt out when putting the top on. They take right off for me this way.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yea there was an interesting paper (which i cannot find) that researched different media for effective bio filtration and sponge 20ppi and 30ppi were extremely effective far more effective than all commonly available bio-balls. The only thing that was significantly better than sponge was k1 media in an mbr (sorry adding it to your canister filter isn't going to do much good).
I switched over to sponge for simplicity. I felt bad dumping all that eheim media out of my 2215, but I'll keep it in case someone wants it. It's impressive how much is included with the purchase of a new classic.

Two out of my three tanks have been running largely unchanged for 8 years. I don't sweat the bio media thing much for this reason. All 3 have a HOB and a canister. I try to accomplish as much mechanical filtration as possible with the HOBs, but have gotten away from fancy bio medias because I feel they're mostly not needed for my setups. I can surely see the value if you're running a bare bottomed tank or are heavily/over stocked.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store