2 week old fishless cycle...when will nitrites show up ??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

southpaw

Lefty
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
I am in Lynnville, TN ...about 60 miles south of Nashville

zazz

AC Members
Mar 29, 2005
to an earlier question: if the color matches at 4 it means 4. the color should graduate up to 8, not really take a big jump all at once.
I dont see the point in adding a shrimp, you have ammonisa in there.
i am not familiar with aquasafe, does it say it has something in there to"make ammonia safe" or words to that effect?
in that case I would suspect it of messing with the cycle and or the readings. worth a good reading of the bottle
In fact I would suggest ,empty the tank and begin again Without dechlorinator. ( it won't set you back)
Also, try raising your temp, The bacteria multiply faster at highr temps

Here are links to two articles by THE Freshwater cycle man, Dr Chris Cow.
Take note especially of the instructions regarding adding ammonia.
http://www.mikeandmarys.com/cycling.html (Originlly published in 1999)

http://malawicichlids.com/mw01017.htm Update, not sure of date

southpaw

Lefty
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
Here is the info on the Tetra Aquasafe I am using....

http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tetrafish/catalog/productdetail.aspx?id=1276&cid=73

I have already raised the temp as suggested earlier today...I am setting at about 81* right now but I will wait to see what it tops out at since I just turned it up alittle and figure I would give it 24 hours or so to steady out then I can raise it alittle more if need be.

southpaw

Lefty
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
Here is what the first sentence of the directions says on the back of the bottle:

"Aquasafe should be used when setting up a new aquarium and with every partial water change or evaporation replacement."

So I would assume it doesnt effect the ammonia any.....or atleast it doesnt mention the word ammonia anywhere on the bottle.

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Higher Temps will indeed increase the bacterial growth rates

NOT using a dechlorinator is bad! The chlorides and chlorine present in tap water is specifically designed to KILL bacterias...

Ammonia over 6ppm (more so at 8+) will indeed have a negative effect on your bacterias as again it creates a very unfavorable enviroment for the bacterias and actually kills some off, although the noticable die-offs really don't happen until you get over 8-10ppm IME.

Probably more important ... Are you certain that you are using 'pure' Ammonia without Sufficants OR Purfumes OR Dyes???

Lastly, in a completely new tank, it could easily be 2-3 weeks before you can start to read nirtItes in the test kits. This doesn't mean it isn't there though! As for the ammonia not dropping....hmm? I would have suspected a slight drop off, but nothing big until you start to read your Ites.

NeonJulie

Worlds' Worst Mafia Voter
Nov 13, 2006
Everett, WA
Pretty sure it was said they're using ACE Hardware Janitorial Strength, so it should be fine.

But that doesn't stall a cycle, believe you me. I had NitrItes AND NitrAtes the 11 days I cycled with detergent ammonia.

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
try turning the temp down to 75.

check your LFS, they may have prepackaged bacteria.. i normally wouldn't use it, but after two weeks it may be worth it. (biospyra was mentioned earlier, but i've had better luck with Cycle)

also, try buying a potted plant for your tank.. the moss in the pots usually has a good bit of bacteria.

good luck!

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Sorry I must have missed the ammonia source...

I'm not so sure that ammonia with additives will yield the same results. I realize that nitrItes and thus the cycle will still initiate, but I'm not sure on the effects.

On a new 75G tank I helped to cycle w/ only ammonia it took us 17 days before I could be sure I was reading any measurable nitrItes FWIW.

southpaw

Lefty
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
I will keep waiting and testing for no and hope for the best.... I will be able to test it Saturday before I leave to go out of town and then again when I get back Wednesday night... so really I guesss I should hope it doesnt really get going until I get back so i can dose and test as needed.

Thanks for all the input and I will post back any changes when they happen.

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
Cycle is pretty worthless according to most. Bio Spira is really hit or miss. I'd just hold out and save the money on bacterial additive products... but I really hope things move along soon because I can only imagine how frustrating this is for you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store