20 gallon aquarium water questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aaron1332

AC Members
Apr 9, 2020
To start off this is my first tank i've ever set up. I have a 20 gallon tank, live plants(growing), over the back filter, 24" fluorescent light...Everything was brand new never used. I set up my tank, filled with my tap water(well water) and let the tank operate for 2 days and get to its temp of 77* farenheit...i added the included aqueon water conditioner, waited a day to let it fully mix with the water being filtered. Currently i have a PH of 9, alkalinity of 450 ppm, very hard water, 0 ppm nitrites, and somewhere around 170 ppm nitrates...i do understand the general concept of how a cycle is established, and the relstionships between hardness and alkalinity, as well as nitrites to nitrates...i'm curious to ask experienced members as to what my first step should be to adjust my parameters before i purchase fish

Aaron1332

AC Members
Apr 9, 2020
Yes, i understand it will take some time to initially cycle and not to put fish in, but i'm wondering as to what measures i could take to treat my water or if the parameters i have with my well water aren't worth the hassle of messing with when i do water changes...my only other option would be to buy aquarium water from the local shop in town or i guess from what i've come to understand i could buy distilled water and start with that

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
Your well water is liquid rock, and here I don't think 160 nitrates in water is legal. Do you use the well water for drinking/bathing/household activities?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Is it well water? Are you sure the 170ppm is correct? Cause if it is you would have to use 3/4 rain/ RO/ distilled water...

Reactions: CichlidFins

Aaron1332

AC Members
Apr 9, 2020
If the API 5 in 1 test trips are quality and accurate enough then yes i'm sure, i've tested the water 4 times, once straight from the tap, once when i filled the tank, once after 2 days of circulating through the new filter and once 24 hrs after putting the safe start in.. all read extremely high on nitrates, ph, hardness and alkalinity...If distilled water is good to start with then i'll just drain my water out and use that instead

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Note just distilled water will kill your fish. You need to do for example 1 part tap water 4 parts distilled water, then test again, nitrates should be ±35 and KH ±90, that's still high for nitrates you might want to use zeolite in your filter. But first and foremost get a liquid test kit to verify, or call your water municipality, ask about the nitrate level those test strips aren't great.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Here is the problem with this plan. Distilled water is going to cost about $1/gal. you will be needing about 13-14 gals of it at the outset. Then, assuming you will change 50% of the water weekly, you will need 6-7 gals. of distilled. At $1/gal that is about $6.50/week x 52 weeks a year means about $338. Consider getting a small RO/DI unit. The DI resin will remove the nitrate which is an ion.

I have a 75 gpd portable 3 stage ro/di unit that cost me about $125 years back. You can still get it for the same price on Amazon. Before you buy it, try the distilled to see how it works for you. If it doesn't do the trick, then don' buy the unit.
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Aquarium-Filter-System-Membrane/dp/B004N7QUXW?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store