20 Gallon Hex Stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Have you ever had a 20+ gallon hexagon/pentagon tank?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

BlazeitChris

AC Members
Aug 19, 2015
United States
Hey Everyone!
So I came across a deal for a 20 gallon hex tank and I'm brainstorming on what to put in it. Due to the smaller foot-print and height-over-length it kinda limits my options already. I was also looking into invertebrates and I think I'd defiantly be interested in having a yellow panther crab, an electric blue crayfish(I've heard can be aggressive), or an Asian tiger crayfish; but I would also want fish to go along with it. Since the tank is rather "tall" I'm planning on putting a central spire of lava rock, holey rock, or driftwood. Again due to the height of the tank I am probably looking at "taller" fish, maybe an angelfish or two, a single blood parrot, or a single fancy fantail goldfish. It might also save me the trouble to have an algae eater of some sort (BN pleco, SAE, snails,etc.) even though it adds to the bioload. I'm running a fluval 206, heater, an airstone, maybe some live plants. Any suggestions are welcomed! Thanks!;)

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
Otocinclus are cool little algae eaters, and do not require too much space. They would also probably appreciate having some surface area in the middle to suck on. They are small though, so anything particularly large or aggressive might be a bad idea.

Also, yay Texas!

Sincerely,
Brian

BlazeitChris

AC Members
Aug 19, 2015
United States
Otocinclus are cool little algae eaters, and do not require too much space. They would also probably appreciate having some surface area in the middle to suck on. They are small though, so anything particularly large or aggressive might be a bad idea.

Also, yay Texas!

Sincerely,
Brian
I've never personally owned otos before but I've heard that they will not thrive unless the tank is filled with algae and plants. I've also thought about getting rabbit snails or something like that for algae control.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Treat the 20hex like a 15gal. Decide if you want crabs, crays, or fish, I do not recommend a combination. Also if going Ottos, the tank needs to be very extabished for over a year before Ottos.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Personally, I wouldn't put any of the crabs or crays in a tank that tall. Nor an angel. Angels need some swimming room which IS not what you will get in a 20 gallon hex tank. Ditto the BP since it will grow. You probably could get away with a single fancy though I don't think a tall hex tank shows them off best.

jpierce3

AC Members
Aug 1, 2011
Western Ohio
Endlers and some Aspidoras with some tall live plants?

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
What's the actual footprint of the tank? You might get away with 4-5 hatchets if it's not too small (warning they like to jump). They fill up the space at the top of the tank well. Depending on the setup, you could still get away with ottos in a new tank. Just need to feed them manually if you don't have algae. If you use sand as a substrate and don't rinse it well, you will have tons of diatoms in no time. (I learned the hard way recently ;) ) Other thoughts are guppies, danios, or killies.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Tank is still small, bro. Think micro fish or something that does not need a larger tank. Research is key to questionably sized tanks. Dwarf corys and microrasboras would be awesome.

BlazeitChris

AC Members
Aug 19, 2015
United States
I've owned a 10 gallon and a 15 gallon tank before and if the footprint is the Area of the Base, then a 20 gallon hex(~304") is still larger than a 10 gallon(200") or 15 gallon(288"), and I thought at least one angel could fit. Thanks

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
the area of the hex base is dependent on height since the tank is rated in volume.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store