20 gallon long tank and two aquaclear 20 filters?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

danny83

Registered Member
Jan 14, 2021
Hi,

Would two aquaclear 20 filters be good enough for a 20 long tank? I plan on stocking it with 12 danios

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
One should be enough, actually.

WYite

Reactions: Sprinkle
Apr 2, 2002
New York
There is no reason not to go with two except for the cost. As noted, it eliminates single point failure from the filtration side of things. But there are other benefits. There is more media space in two AC 20s than a single AC 30. The volume of media to host the needed micro-organisms is normally more important than the flow rate. This changes if one has live plants.

I am a believer in over filtering in terms of media (not flow). One of the benefits of AquaClears is that they have flow control. This allows one to increase the media space by using a larger size modle (rated for s larger tank) but then turning down the flow rate in order to match the needs of the smaller tank. AC states that the lowest flow rate on one of their hang-ons will be about 1/3 of the full flow rate.

Having two filters should not be much more work. Because of the increased media volume you will need to clean it less often. The volume/weight of waste a tank produces does not depend on the filtration. The filtration capacity must be able to handle the amount of waste the tank produces.

My personal opinion on what size AC is appropriate disagrees with what Hagen states about ACs. I prefer to use a larger size. For example, I run a pair of AC 20s on a 15 gal tank. I have a 20 and a 30 on both a 25 and a 29 gallon tank. (All of these are planted.) As a rule of thumb, the only tanks on which I use a single filter are 10 gallons or smaller. I tend to do the same with heaters for similar reasons.

I should add that I am able to afford the methods I use. But then I am pretty old and have managed to reach a point in my life where I am able to do so. I should add that it took me a lot of decades to reach this point. However, along the way I did learn that, in the long run, the cheapest solutions tend to cost the most up front.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Like said, it's always wise to run more than one filter for several reasons as mentioned. AC20's are tiny and have very small sponges. I personally wouldn't go with smaller than AC30's. They're very reasonable by mail order.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I agree with TTA & FF, 2 filters are better! Better circulation & easy to clean alternately without damaging beneficial bacteria ( I used tap water)

Danios like some flow IME, I'd go with 2 AC 30s or even 50s. Like TTA said you can reduce the flow rate & the price difference is not much, a few $$ between all 3 ACs. I too am able to afford extra equipment as needed...if something should happen to 1 you're still covered until you can repair 1...it's also nice if you want to start up another tank ;)

danny83

Registered Member
Jan 14, 2021
Thanks so much everyone for your answers. It's much appreciated ;)
I already have the filters from some old tanks I ran about 3 years ago I just have to buy the media. Would biohome plus be a good media for these filters as the bio media?

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
One of the benefits of AquaClears is that they have flow control. This allows one to increase the media space by using a larger size modle (rated for s larger tank) but then turning down the flow rate in order to match the needs of the smaller tank. AC states that the lowest flow rate on one of their hang-ons will be about 1/3 of the full flow rate.
But does that initiate BETTER filtration, as their literature states?

I have a 110 on my 60 gallon (along with an Aqueon 75 on the other side) that I run with the flow turned to minimum, and it still churns out a ton of return flow -- but I was under the impression that the lower flow rates on these ACs equates to better water polishing and more efficient refiltration...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store