20 Gallon Long Tank: Revised Stock List

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lateinningmagic

Call Me E-Man
Apr 14, 2009
New York
Here is what I want/have. If you see that I am overstocking or mixing species that might not get along or have different requirements then let me know. I have an established 10g tank where I could put "leftovers".

8 Neon Tetras
8 Zebra Danios (5 Gold, 3 Regular)
3 Bristlenose Plecos
6 Guppies (2 Males, 4 Females)
2 African Dwarf Frog (If I could ever find them :mad2:)

So what do you guys think? Too much for a 20g long? My sister wants a Betta, and since I don't have room in the 20g, I was thinking of putting a Betta in the 10g and 1 pleco and 2 ADF along with the Betta.

Tank setup:
20 gallon long
Hood w/ 1 WPG light
Low light Plants (I'm getting a starter pack thanks to a raok here on AC)
Small gravel as substrate
HOB Filter
Air Pump

The 10g has gravel, a filter and fake plants.

How's my stocking list?

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
That's pretty aggressive stocking. I would go with just one pleco. I would also go with just two of the three groups that you proposed.

lateinningmagic

Call Me E-Man
Apr 14, 2009
New York
Well the three plecos are already on the way :lipssealedsmilie:

How about:

5 Neons
8 Zebras
2 Plecos
3 Guppies (1 male, 2 female)

In the 20g ?

In the 10g:
Betta
Pleco
3 Guppies (1 male, 2 female)

lateinningmagic

Call Me E-Man
Apr 14, 2009
New York
That sounds better. I'd go with a couple fewer zebras and more neons though.
I thought about that too, but I kinda wanted to mix up gold zebras with regular zebras, and I already have five gold. But I think more neons would probably be better too.

lateinningmagic

Call Me E-Man
Apr 14, 2009
New York
The problem with plecos are that they get to be huge 18" + and are huge waste machines.
These are Bristlenose Plecos. They max out at about 6 inches. I had bought a common last week and returned it yesterday because it would grow too big.

I wouldnt go with less danios else they may nip the guppy's tails if in smaller groups
Argh, not sure what to do. I actually have a third tank, but it only has gravel and a few 1.5inch plastic glass things that came with an old tadpole-to-frog plastic setup. Maybe I should buy it a filter and make it a guppy only tank.... Spending too much money here!

Last edited:

Robbwilder

AC Members
Mar 25, 2009
I think a guppy only taking could be striking especially if you only did males. You could actually start off with a pair .. plant (live or artifical) the bottom have too many guppies in awhile.

jenazen69

AC Members
Jun 19, 2004
buffalo, NY
msn.com
I would go with a guppy only tank for the guppies. Then you can do:
In the 20g.
5 Neons
8 Zebras
2 Plecos

In the 10g:
Betta
Pleco

I would not mix a betta with guppies as they are both slow movers with long flowing fins. The betta would probably kill the guppies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store