20 gallon numbers for tetra or danio and guarami and Cory’s?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LanaCarrie

Registered Member
Jul 8, 2018
I’m getting a 20 gallon aquarium (12.5 deepx 24 wide x 16.5 high with heater and s20 marina clip on filter). I’ve researched as much as I can and think I’d like to have the following:

schoolers: Cardinal or some other tetras or cherry barbs or celestial pearl danios

centerpiece: honey guaramI(s)

bottom: panda or salt and pepper cory

i don’t want to overload my tank and I’m new to the hobby. I like the idea of real plants but have been told to start with fake so I plan to.

Questions:
How many schoolers should I get? Could I have two sets? Are there any of the above that are hardier than others? Any recommendations for an alternative (would like colourful)

do I get 1 honey or a pair? Is there an alternate I should consider (dwarf guarami seem to be susceptible to sickness and betas seem like too much of a fun nipping risk)

is 4 Cory’s not enough (some places say yes, others say at least 6)

do I get an algae eater like Otocinclus too? How many?

Are shrimp or snails an option or does this become too much for a 20 gallon?

thanks for any advice you have to offer

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
CPD's are very small and shy, probably more appropriate for a nano tank.
Cardinal Tetras are a great choice and are hardy once established.
Cherry Barbs are very hardy and more active if you want more movement than the more sedate Cardinals.
I love Panda Cories. I'd go with 5 or 6, as they are schoolers and are more interesting and happy in larger numbers.
I also love honey Gouramis. Are you talking about the gold ones commonly found in fish stores? I find them to be easier to keep in groups than the wild types, where one breeding male can wreck havoc.
2 or more would be good, or you can get just one for that matter.
I'd wait before adding Oto's unless you willing to give them a specialized diet. They do better in a well established tank.

LanaCarrie

Registered Member
Jul 8, 2018
Thanks much for then info the info! I will get all the fish at a reputable pet store so it sounds like the honey guarami will work. Thanks again!

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
Skirts get pretty big and are somewhat aggressive, but yeah, they would work with a few Cories. Keep in mind that later adding shrimp or smaller fish may not work out well with these.

LanaCarrie

Registered Member
Jul 8, 2018
Skirts get pretty big and are somewhat aggressive, but yeah, they would work with a few Cories. Keep in mind that later adding shrimp or smaller fish may not work out well with these.
Thank you! I’ll stick to the cardinals :). Appreciate your help

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store