20 gallon stocking ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish Master

Needs more fish tanks
Aug 17, 2012
Colorado
I got my 20 gallon back up and cycling. I'm still figuring out what to put in there once it's cycled. a few ideas are:

or
or
I am open to more ideas!:idea:

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
Are you asking for us to choose which one we like out of those three? Or are you just looking for general opinions on those three, or other stocking ideas?

I personally like the first one the most, mainly as I prefer tanks with fish at all three levels or at least has some sort of bottom dweller. Some quick google research shows that you may want to consider getting more than one of the SA bumbleebee cat, three seems to be the recommended number based on a few different sites I've been too.

The all tiger barb tank would be an impressive display, although I do believe that they are better suited to a 3 foot 30 gallon aquarium due to how highly active they are.

The dwarf puffer fish tank certainly would be a very interesting and entertaining aquarium, I love how they have personalities and are very fun to watch! That would probably be my second choice. :)

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
One and Three is good. Tiger Barbs need more swimming room (IMO) and they do get bigger then most people know/think.

A big school in a 55 would be great. Tigers in a 20gal is kind of pushing it.

bman103192

AC Members
Sep 23, 2013
Personally I would go with a dwarf pike, a few dwarf puffers, and some corys (depending on the exact species, adult size, and temperament of the pike)

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I would agree the tiger barbs are too much to handle in a 20gal. #1 is the most interesting, but I would question the White Skirts. They can be on the aggressive side in my experience. A nice group of regular and albino cherry barbs would look nice or a group of penguin tetras could be interesting.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
White Skirts "can" be aggressive, but not in bigger tanks and bigger group. Rummies would be a better idea, or any of the other smaller tetras (Cardinals, Glow-Lights, Black Neons, ect).

Fish Master

Needs more fish tanks
Aug 17, 2012
Colorado
Here's five more ideas:

a breeding pair of

or

or

or breeding

or some rosy red minnows

I have so many ideas I should make a poll!

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store