20 Gallon Stocking Scheme Advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jgnfnj

Jim
Aug 19, 2006
Hello all,

This is my first post. I have been studying how to set up and maintain a Freshwater Aquarium for about 6 months. Due to size constraints I had to start with a 20 Gallon. I have purchased a glass 20 gallon standard rectangular tank and approved stand as well as all needed supplies. I am aware of all of the care and cycling procedures, etc. I have studied several species that are supposed to be appropriate for this size tank. I want to do the right thing for the fish. I have not purchased a single fish yet. I have Three Separate ideas for stocking schemes, Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:

Scheme 1:

6 Lemon Tetra

6 Black Phantom Tetra

1 Kuhli Loach

4 Panda Cory Cats

Scheme 2:

6 Various Platy (Topsail,Standard, Longfin)

6 Lemon Tetra OR 6 Black Phantom Tetra (Will ANY of these Tetras Nip Fins of Other Fish?)

1 Kuhli Loach

4 Panda Cory Cats

Scheme 3:

3 Various Platy

6 Lemon Tetra OR 6 Black Phantom Tetra

1 Kuhli Loach

4 Panda Cory Cats

1 Otocinclus (Do I even need such an algea eater with the 1 Kuhli Loach and Corys?)

Thanks!

Jim

gst4life

New 20 gallon!
Aug 5, 2006
Maryland
Otts get huge , so scratch number 3. Number 1 sounds good but thats just me.

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
otos don't get huge. they stay at about 1.5" for males, 2" for females. Are you thinking of plecos, gst? Those get huge.

Also, jgn, otos prefer the company of others and are hard to feed. Once they eat all your algae, they'll nearly starve if you don't provision them with blanched veggies or sinking herbivore wafers where the first ingredients are algae/veggies and NOT fish meal.

For more on my spiel about algae eaters, see my post
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=635548&postcount=32

Last edited:

gst4life

New 20 gallon!
Aug 5, 2006
Maryland
Plecos is what I was thinking. Arghh.....Anyway, keep the corys and don't get the otto unless you can feed him adequately

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
gst4life said:
Plecos is what I was thinking. Arghh.....
no worries :D I'm just a know-it-all :p:

Jim, I think I like scheme 3 (minus the oto). But I'm not an expert on stocking or livebearers and tetras, so someone may come along to say those aren't compatible. Keep checking back! :)

mazeman22

Marine Biologist in the MAKING!!!!
Jul 31, 2006
Missouri
I would go with number 3 minus the otto also... That would be a beautiful tank and if your thinking of planting it, it would be even more beautiful..... Just my 2 cents :dive: Have fun with stocking

Web Gazelle

Guardian Of The Cave
Dec 1, 2004
Planet Earth
Why 1 Kuhli in each option? They are social and live in groups. I would go with the first minus the Kuhli.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store