20 gallon tank--dwarf puffers, stocking ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nterry

AC Members
Dec 10, 2005
Hi,

I am planning on setting up a 20 gallon high and adding some dwarf puffers. How many should I keep. Any recommendations on decor and tankmates are appreciated.

Thanks,

nterry

boostnbuds

boostnbuds
Sep 21, 2007
Rhode Island
a friend of mine had 3 in a 55 and they killed eachother until 1 was left im not sure if this is common behavior, but it is wat it is...lol

chaibill

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
Long Island NY USA
Usually 1 per 3 gallons so you might want to start with 4 to be safe . also you need lots of plants so they can keep hidden from each other. And tank needs to be well established. Most dwarf puffers come with internal parasites s you need to treat them their stomach will be sunken in hen they have parasites pot bellys when they are healthy. go to dwarfpuffers.com for sexing info.

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
yep. 1 per 3 gallons is usually the general rule. I wouldn't put more than 5 in a 20 gallon high though. And also make plenty of hiding spots.

Most people have had the best results in species only tanks for DPs.

stasia8756

AC Members
Feb 24, 2007
Nashville
We've got three in a 20 gallon but it's divided. We had one puffer then got two juveniles rescued when Petsmart closed them out and were afraid the adult would beat up on the smaller ones. Now the two in the divided section chase each other and have established their own "territories" within the tank.

They're fun fish but the only thing you can put in there with them are small pond snails for them to snack on.

chaibill

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
Long Island NY USA
I think otcinclus can go with DPs

Spewn

AC Members
Mar 12, 2008
Are there any other fresh(not brackish) water puffers? An employee at Big Al's mentioned another kind that gets to about 3", he said it would be fine for a 10g.

Most places say oto's and Dwarf Puffers get along. That's my plan anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store