20 or 29 gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

waffenss

AC Members
Jan 15, 2006
ok i've got a 75 gallon coming that is going to be the masterpiece of the front room, right now i have a 29 gallon that's going to saltwater (brackish setup now for my mono and puffer) and a 10 gallon FW but i want to upgrade the 10 gallon since i'm going with saltwater for the seventy five gallon. i can get a starter kit for $69.99 for a 20 gallon or $99.99 for a 29 gallon. i have a stand for the 20, which my 10 sits on now that made for either. do you think for 30 bucks i should go with the bigger tank? since i'm going to only have one freshwater tank, i was thinking that the 29 would be the best bet. Also walmart has a clearance on their 29 gallon stands for $45.00 cut down from $69.00. any suggestions?

Watcher74

Senior N00b
Feb 5, 2004
Texas
Visit site
That's odd. I also have a 75 gallon, 29 gallon, and 10 gallon.

:confused:

Anyway, bigger is always better for aquariums. The larger they are the easier the maintenance is, the less effect any mistakes make, the more you can do with it, etc.

On the other hand, if you are buying a stand from Walmart it's plaster board, right?

I personally despise plaster board. Solid wood for me. Looks better, can get soaked without falling apart, etc.

Bigger tank yes, stand from Walmart no.

All in my personal opinion.

Mar 10, 2005
Columbus, OH
a 29 is a nice size tank I really like the looks of it. I have never had one but has the same footprint as a 20 long. Make sure your stand isnt for a 20 long if so that answers your question. My thoughts on starter kits are dont get them. If you plan on using live plants and all of that they are a waste of money. Its so much cheaper to buy everything seperate because eventually you'll prob realize that the products that come w/ it (heater, filter) w/e else may come with them arent the best at all. so you'll end up buying something else and in the long run you'll be like "why did I buy the starter kit instead of putting it all together from scratch :huh: :sad: "

ttan

AC Members
Apr 6, 2005
Boston
wwildcats04 said:
a 29 is a nice size tank I really like the looks of it. I have never had one but has the same footprint as a 20 long. Make sure your stand isnt for a 20 long if so that answers your question. My thoughts on starter kits are dont get them. If you plan on using live plants and all of that they are a waste of money. Its so much cheaper to buy everything seperate because eventually you'll prob realize that the products that come w/ it (heater, filter) w/e else may come with them arent the best at all. so you'll end up buying something else and in the long run you'll be like "why did I buy the starter kit instead of putting it all together from scratch :huh: :sad: "

agreed

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Starter kits are very handy for those who have no idea what they need to get started. My first serious attempt at keeping fish began with a 10 gallon starter kit. The kit came with very useful information like tank cycling and stocking...enough water conditioner to get you started (explaining why it was needed, which was very helpful because I had no idea !)

So starter kits do have thier place....but now that I'm know what I'm doing (most of the time anyway)....it is more cost effective to pick up the equiptment seperately. That way you can get the better quality stuff. (however, the heater and filter that came with my 10 are still going strong...especially that heater ! I've had NO problems with that whats so ever...can't say the same for many of the other brands of heaters I have had experience with since)

Red K

AC Members
Jan 23, 2006
Minnesota
I'll add my vote to the "get the 29." I've never met anyone who bemoaned choosing the bigger tank and wished they had LESS space for fish. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store