20 Tall tank. New to hobby. Basic Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DieselJunki

The Tomboy
Aug 20, 2009
USA
www.myspace.com
I've heard many people say that an angel should be kept in a 55gallon tank since they do get rather large. Which is why I decided not to go with them in my 40 gallon tank and switched to German Blue Rams instead.

Nice looking tank though! Really like the driftwood.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Maybe its me but whats the point of getting a fish that will outgrow your tank within a matter of months? Just skip the angel and go with the single DG. Let it live out its entire lifespan in your tank...

To be quite honest I would probably skip the rummies and just go with the harlequin rasboras. Youre footprint is too small to accomodate another schooling fish.

AQ salt is pure NaCl and will not add to GH specifically but in theory raises the TDS (total dissolved solids) of the water. A better alternative would be crushed coral which would be a more constant source of calcium for general hardness and carbonate for a buffer (your KH or carbonate hardness). Also would save money in the long run.

Vallisneria would fit the bill of the plant youre looking for. They grow rather tall if left alone.

Look here for pics.
http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_search.php?search=vallisneria

shadow999991

AC Members
Feb 12, 2009
i don't know about that i had a blusher angel that stayed at a quarter size for almost two years before dying of a chemical mess (thanks little brother) i had him in a 29 gallon with just some bottom feeders, i think if he can fond one like that i'll work lol

angyles

AC Members
Nov 4, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Visit site
If you want the rummies, you really should have a larger school of them. Becasue of that, I would recomment you go with just a nice large school (13-15) of rasboras. Also, dwarf gourami instead of the angel. An angel wouldn't really be appropriate in that size tank alone, let alone with a bunch of schoolers. For the bottom I'm partial to cories but bristle noses are pretty cute. You'd be fine with either. the gravel will not hurt the cories.

acevudoo

AC Members
Dec 4, 2008
Chicago
wold pass on the angel.. When confined and single.. They tend to get cantankerous .. Plus when it's time to trade in-- you'll probably find put how attached you can get! Tank looks swell though and welcome!

shadow999991

AC Members
Feb 12, 2009
sounds stunted...never seen a healthy 2+ year old angel stay that size.
i know but i bought him from a good breeder he was in a big tank all his life? he would go on hunger stikes for long periods of time for no reason i guess that why he was so small

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store