20 Year Old Raphael Catfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Is there a way to allow my tetras to hide from the catfish?

• No, wait for the catfish to die

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, my suggestion is in the comments.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

lvfnchs

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2017
Hi all, I'm new to the forum! I have had a striped Raphael catfish for about 20 years. He's moved with me a few times and is a good size. He's in a 37 gallon tank. I stopped getting other fish a while ago because he'd eat them. he left one orange tetra alone, who lived about 5 years. They coexisted nicely. When that tetra died of natural causes, I went and got a bunch of neon tetras and guppies. The catfish seemed happy (lol) and ate them all. I got some more, same thing. He's now leaving two neon tetras alone so I have three fish in the big tank.

I was wondering if there's something on the market that the tetras can hide in? I'm thinking something like a net that floats in the middle of the tank, but I can't find anything like that. Something they can go into that the catfish can't fit inside. There are a few places the catfish can't get to, but the tetras just won't hide in them. If I could devise a hiding spot that they'd use, I would get some more because it's so empty in there and they seem lonely. Any suggestions, or do I need to just wait until the catfish is no more? He's pretty old and I think he's near his expectancy, just thought I'd check here. Thanks for your time!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Tetras cannot hide from a nocturnal hunter. You will need fishes that are too big for him to eat.

Reactions: fishorama

lvfnchs

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2017
That's kind of what I thought. Too bad! I love colorful, schooling, community fish. Thanks for the reply.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store