200 Gal tank. Good idea????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

slthoeny

AC Members
Feb 25, 2006
I may have a chance to get a used tank approx. 200Gal. My mother saw it and it is about 6 ft. by 3 ft. by 18 in. I have had fish several months now, and want a lager tank. But was thinking more like 75 gal. I love the idea of a large tank, but need to have more information. How does maintenance compare to smaller tanks? Also what kind of filtration, heaters, etc. would I need for it. I am not sure I want to go that large, but the price is so good I do not think I can pass it up. It is a tank that came from a restaurant that closed. It is clean. I am not sure if it has any filtration or anything else with it currently. But at less than 150.00 I think I may go that way. My big concern is upkeep. I appreciate any feedback. Thank you. Oh, by the way, my largest tank is currently a 30 gal. Sherry

onepawnup

AC Members
Jan 2, 2006
Take the tank
even if yuou dont use it you can get 4-500 for it
I just bought a 180 gal and i love it ..largest before that was a 55 gal
Ive only been in the hobby 6 months

go for it

csdax

Not Crazy!
Mar 6, 2006
London, Ontario, Canada
onepawnup said:
Take the tank
even if yuou dont use it you can get 4-500 for it

go for it

I agree - buy it! If you don't want to use it, you can still make a big profit!

One thing to be careful of though - if you do use it, be very careful about where you put it.

1 litre of water = 1 kg
200 gallon (750 litres) = 1650 lb​

When full, this tank will weigh almost a ton! Make sure that the floor can deal with that kind of weight.

beblondie

grand high exhalted poobah
Mar 25, 2005
closer to 2400 lbs the larger the tank the more stable the water conditions will be.maintenence on a big tank isn't much more than a small tank,the basic difference is the amount of water you change weekly -Anne

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
it's been said..with more water you have more stability.
the downside is that you need more filtration and heat etc..etc
the cost may go up for maint compared to what you had before.

but in the long run if you keep fish it'll be worth it.

my next tank will most likley be a big one 150-200gal

Native American

Just Another Flying Fish
Apr 25, 2005
Altus, OK
beblondie said:
closer to 2400 lbs the larger the tank the more stable the water conditions will be.maintenence on a big tank isn't much more than a small tank,the basic difference is the amount of water you change weekly -Anne
This weight deal is so important. If your house is built on a slab, you'll be okay. If not, reinforcing the floor joists is vital. The big worry is not so much that you'll have the floor sag, because that is eaily fixed. Uneven sag = aquarium stand sagging unevenly. The stand can take this too, but the aquarium cannot...it will flex under its own weight, and you will end up with a busted seam. That is not a desireable state of affairs.

I've got a 100gal on tile floor set on a concrete slab. It's stable.

v/r, N-A

slthoeny

AC Members
Feb 25, 2006
Native American said:
This weight deal is so important. If your house is built on a slab, you'll be okay. If not, reinforcing the floor joists is vital. The big worry is not so much that you'll have the floor sag, because that is eaily fixed. Uneven sag = aquarium stand sagging unevenly. The stand can take this too, but the aquarium cannot...it will flex under its own weight, and you will end up with a busted seam. That is not a desireable state of affairs.

I've got a 100gal on tile floor set on a concrete slab. It's stable.

v/r, N-A

We are not on a slab, but reinforcing our floor is not really a problem. One afternoon of work and a few materials. We are in construction business, so that is not a big concern for me. I just don't want to jump in over my head with fish. Water changes won't be that bad either. I just want to make sure there is not something I am overlooking as far as maintenance goes. Thank you for all of your replies. If I am able to get it I will be back for suggestions on accesories for it. And then for filling it. Sherry

Native American

Just Another Flying Fish
Apr 25, 2005
Altus, OK
I only wish I'd started with a big tank. Once set up, they're easier IMHO. Water changes are just a bit more voluminous. I like keeping an understocked tank anyways, though you couldn't tell looking at my present setup (I just can't sell off those guppies fast enough...they just keep dropping fry).

Being in construction, you've probably seen people who stick a file safe or gun safe in the corner of the house, only to have the floor sag in that one area over just a couple years (then contract w/ you for repairs). A large fish tank has the exact same "footprint" demand in terms of weight per sq/in as a mid-level home safe. Extra posts/piers and beams is a perfect idea.

v/r, N-A

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store