20g High mass die off/restock

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 14 Pro Max
Last month I had a huge mass die off in my tank where I lost all my neon tetras and betta. The only fish to live were 3 glowlight tetras, a cory and a SA Bumblebee catfish. I added one Butterfly HMDT male 2 weeks ago. I just added 6 Black Neon Tetras, 3 Glowlight tetras, 3 platies and a rubberlip pleco. I'm not going to add anymore to the tank, as I think it's at its limit now.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
What's a butterfly HMDT, a betta? (I'm guessing half moon delta tail?) That sounds like plenty of fish...maybe too many...especially all at once.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I too think your tank is at limit. I would treat a 20gal H more like a 15gal in stocking.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 14 Pro Max
What's a butterfly HMDT, a betta? (I'm guessing half moon delta tail?) That sounds like plenty of fish...maybe too many...especially all at once.
HMDT is short for Halfmoon Double Tail. He is a pretty fish. I normally stick to smaller fish for a smaller tank, while I put larger fish in larger tanks.

I won't be adding anymore to this tank. It's back to where I had it once before. The platies were added to add some color besides the betta.

Lady JinglyJones

AC Members
Sep 30, 2015
Coast of Coromandel
Real Name
Emily
Camera Used
Ma Galaxy S4.
I agree with tanker - in the past when I pushed the limit with my 20G it holds for a while, but always crashes eventually. Fewer fish = less tears. I'm trying to think of my 20G as a kind of nano tank from now on, because build ups can happen really fast.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 14 Pro Max
I stick to mostly small tetras for a 20 High, verses the 20 Long which I put slightly larger tetras in it. I like neons for smaller tanks, and larger tetras for larger tanks. I also have large filters on both 20s.

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Your 20L is "Really" the bigger tank. More surface area.

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I even have the 37g, same length as the 20L, but so much taller for my much larger fish like my Angels.
Nice, but what I meant is that treat all tanks according to length. The longer the tank, the bigger, or more fish that can be kept.
EX. A 29H can have the same fish load as a 20L because of the length.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
20g tanks are just too small for me, in the long run. A 40 breeder is much easier to keep clean and healthy given the depth. Might look into that eventually. Glad to hear your stock is complete, though!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store