20L stocking list + heater Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
So here is my final stocking list, I think... for the 20L in my office.

The only possible problem, which I anticipated, is the Ram with the Shrimp. I will be adding the Ram absolutely last, and it will be a juivenile. So, hopefully he will grow up being well fed and not see the shrimp as food. This has a good chance of failing, but I'm willing to give it a try.

If you have any other input on the stocking list please share.

The only other thing is my question about the need for a heater. Currently without a heater, between ambient air temp, filter and lights, the water is 77*F when I get in in the morning before the lights turn on, and at the end of the day with the lights being on for 8 hours, I'm sitting at almost 79*.
So, do I really need a heater to get those last 2* suggested by AqAdvisor? Especially since the heater I have only has a +- adjustment and not a thermometer, so I anticipate it being hard to raise the temp such a low amount.

Besides that, the temp ranges stated on other sites seem to indicate that 76* is the highest needed and is related to the goby and gourami with the others seeming to like it a little cooler with a high of 79-80*.

Personally I feel my non heater temps are hoving right in the perfect range for all the occupants, but thought I would troll for anyone that would dissagree with me.

Oh, and the tank has xmas moss and fissidens and a mistery plant growing from the fissidens. If the fissidens is still alive...

· Warning: Cherry Shrimp may become food for Blue Ram.
Recommended temperature range: 78.8 - 80.6 F. [Display in Celsius]
Recommended pH range: 6 - 7.
Recommended hardness range: 5 - 12 dH.

Filter: AquaClear 50
You have plenty of aquarium filtration capacity.

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 168%.
Recommended water change schedule: 30% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 76%.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Shrimp survivablity will come down to the rams personality probably, I've kept RCS and Bolivians together never saw them eat any adult shrimp but occasionally juvies got snagged, wasn't a big deal though enough lived to keep the colony going strong.

Also Oto's should be kept in groups I'd give the tank a couple months to mature before adding them.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
^. Otos in groups and maybe the ram will eat the shrimp, maybe not.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
If you get larger shrimp like the bamboo shrimp i dobt think the rams will be an issue

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
3 otos is still too few IMO. You might also get some conflict with the peacock gudgeon and the ram since they are both bottom dwellers with feistier personalities. As long as you only have one of each and dont get a breeding pair of either, you may be ok. Like the others said, cherry shrimp might end up being an expensive meal, but they might not. I've heard of people keeping a colony of cherries with rams, but that included lots and lots of dense plantings for the shrimp to hide in and juvies probably still got eaten.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store