210g Build Thread....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
Since I have somehow managed to spread my 210g FOWLR progress over three or four threads, I figure it will be easier to post progress pics on one thread. Here are two of the other threads, one describing my setup and my reason for the setup:
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118937
and the more recent one convincing me to use my wet dry filter in place of one of my Magnum 350 canister filters
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119514
and here are the most recent pics. I still have to glue my PVC together and find the adapters from the pump to the PVC.
I hope to get some aragonite this weekend and start stacking rocks....mainly to get all of those tubs out of the way!
Enjoy and I will post more pics as I progress. Feel free to comment if you something blatantly wrong!!
Robbie

overall.jpg overflow.jpg magnum1.jpg wet-dry-filter.jpg sump-return.jpg skimmer.jpg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Very nice set up!

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Terrific. I am looking forward your first post when you start to fill the tank. Congratulations, look likes great progress. How did you decide on the canister? What are your plans then for the sump?

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
Terrific. I am looking forward your first post when you start to fill the tank. Congratulations, look likes great progress. How did you decide on the canister? What are your plans then for the sump?
I think you and rsw686 pushed me over the edge to use the sump, and there were several comments from the very beginning about upgrading to a sump also (grins maybe?). So after some discussion and reading up on the "melvins reef" site, I decided it was not nearly as complicated as I thought and I had all the parts with the exception of the overflow tube. I think I will use the bioballs above the eggcrate and maybe some LR rubble in the bottom...I dunno. Gotta do a little more research.
I figured I had two canister filter setups, and more filtration and water movement is good, right? So I guess I'll keep one and run the micron cartridge, I suppose.
The only disappointment with the sump so far is that my protein skimmer is to flippin' tall to fit under the tank. S'ok though. It's not nearly the eyesore I thought it would be once I set it in place. And it's very accessible.
Thanks!
Robbie

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Robbie: got to say it looks great. And as far as the skimmer as HOB it will be much easier to keep an eye on the waste cup...I hope you have great luck with your Coralife Skimmer...I really liked mine but my LFS talked me into the much larger Octopus ( I was easily swayed by the technology :) ). I think you will really, really like having the sump; I look at it as being an incredible positive - natural biological filtration....and gets me that much closer to a dragonette. Keep up the great work it looks terrific!

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
New Pics!!

I hope I didn't get ahead of myself today....I got tired of tripping over these stupid tubs-o-rocks, so I decided to put them in their proper place. I have 80lbs of Aragonite (the coarser grade) and 30lbs of the sugar sized Aragonite. I decided to hold off on the live sand until I am ready to fill the thing up, which should be this week or the weekend. I have a bunch of little things to do....like redoing the PVC for my sump return (3/4" to 1/2"), getting my bio balls for the sump, adding to my homeowners insurance:), etc.
This is my first attempt at aqua-scaping (although there is no aqua involved yet) so feel free to suggest any changes. It's pretty stable...I banged into the tank several times to check and nothing tumbled.
If this doesn't inspire me to finish this beast, nothing will!
If I add 20-40lbs of live sand, will that be enough to seed the rest?
Thanks for looking!
Robbie

progress-7-29-003.jpg progress-7-29-004.jpg progress-7-29-007.jpg

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Awsome...I should have gotten your help with my aquascape!

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
Thanks....everything in the tank (with the exception of a few shells we collected at the beach) came with it. I had to scrub a ton of long green algae off of the rocks, but they came pretty clean. I hope it looks this good with water and fish!
Robbie

Tikidude

AC Members
Jun 12, 2007
SC, USA
Robbie, it looks amazing! I see some tunnels for the fish, and some great platforms for corals. Beautiful.

As for the live sand, I think what you have planned would be fine. I would suggest taking out your decorative shells and stuff in the front that you don't want covered in sand first, and then you can put them back in front. The large shells are great! You have some amazing coral skeletons that you can really showcase.

Great job!

Are you planning on purchasing any live rock to put in the tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store