26 days of cycling, still no nitrite

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

doctorb

AC Members
May 14, 2007
I have been cycling my 35G tank with raw shrimp for 26 days now. The ammonia levels increased very quickly, but I have yet to see any nitrites. I was told that too high of ammonia might stall the cycle, so I have done 3 PWC and taken out one of the shrimp (there was 2 to start), but there is still no progress :(. Is there anything else I should be doing? I'm getting a little frusterated here.

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
1) Are you using a de-chlorinator (it can kill the bacterias)
2) What is your ammonia

Using prawns is a very difficult method due to the inability to micro-manage the ammonia levels...

doctorb

AC Members
May 14, 2007
Yes I used de-chlorinator when I did the water changes, thats what I was told to do. Do you mean the de-chlorinator kills the bacteria or the chlorine kills them?

doctorb

AC Members
May 14, 2007
My ammonia was maxing out my test for a long time (8ppm), after the water changes it was around 4ppm, but I think its starting to get higher again. Maybe I'll just have to find pure ammonia somewhere and use that instead. I couldn't find any before though.

rwilliams254

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Try the grocery store...under the cleaning section...for ammonia.

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
Make absolutely sure that there are no surfactants or fragrances!

fineanimal

AC Members
Jun 23, 2007
Minnesota
Anyone have opinions on the "bacteria booster" products that are supposed to help the cycling process? I have the same problem with ammonia while cycling. It's only been 13 days, but the ammonia is higher than it should be.

palmbreeze

Fish are friends...not food!
Jul 26, 2005
Ohio
My tank did the same thing! I was cycling my 5.5 gallon with a shrimp from the grocery. The ammonia spiked and it was taking forever. So I put another established filter on the tank and a sponge from another filter. About a day in a half the ammonia was gone and I never got a nitrite spike. My hubby who is pretty knowlegable about this stuff said that the nitrite spike probably already happened. Something abou the ammonia spiking so high plus adding the established filter. So....maybe doctorb's tank has already cycled???

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Is the ammonia level still spiked? Both ammonia and nitrite will be at 0 if cycled. You may get a .25-.50 false reading if you are using prime as your dechlorinator.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store