28 gallon cycle

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

saltydog

AC Members
Mar 16, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
I started a new 28 Gallon Euro(wanted a 46...but no space) about 1 week ago. Should I be doing water changes? If yes, will these extend the cycling period? The guy at the pet shop said I should let the water get as "rank" as possible to let the bacteria colonize( by not changing water for 1 month). Right now I have 6 Danios & 1 tetra(got in there by accident).

Looking to stock with my Leopard pleco, 2 German Blue Rams & Maybe a Bosemai Rainbow.....

What else could I put in there?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Check into fishy cycling. Several threads in FW Archives on the subject. The short answer, however, is that yes, you should be doing lots of water changes to prevent the ammonia/nitrites from hitting lethal levels. Even low levels are unhealthy for the fish.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I'd say that is probably about it fish wise. Once they hit adult size the tank will be pretty full. I don't know how big those plecos get though.

As Orion Girl says, do water changes every tiem your levels start to rise. It will not adversely affect the time of the cycle. And even if it slows it down a bit then at least your fish will pull through nice and healthy.

saltydog

AC Members
Mar 16, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site

I guess i forgot to mention... The danios will be going to my littel nephew.

As far as adult size:
Leopard Pleco : 4-5"
Bosemani Rainbow : 3"
German Rams : 3" x 2

So far that would leave me having about 14" of fish....with about 14" more to go....I also have a emperor 280 for filtration....turning the tank over 10xs per hour. Could nt I get 2-4 more small fish?.....something colorful and atractive.

What do you guys think?

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I would be careful as those tanks tend to be tall and have less surface area. That being said since you are giving the danios away then you could probably have a small school of cherry barbs or something of a similar size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store