29 gal stocking help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

segrayson

segrayson
Feb 2, 2011
Oklahoma
Real Name
Sarah
I have been researching a stocking plan for my 29 gallon planted tank for several weeks now. It seems that the more I research, the more indecisive I become!!! I am doing a fishless cycle so I have some time to figure this out. I would like to have 6 Julii corys and two small schools of shoaling fish, (and possibly a lone larger fish) but I am completely confused about what species to go with. I originally liked Mosquito Rasboras and Celestial Pearl Danios, but I have read some information saying that the CPDs should be in a species tank and that the Mosquito Rasboras need to be kept with other tiny fish so they won’t be eaten. I want something colorful and fun to watch, but I am really concerned about doing this the right way so that I don’t overstock and have the right tank conditions for the whole community. Someone please help me with ideas!
Sarah

Wilder

Registered Member
Dec 9, 2009
Since you know you want cories, I would look into a school of tetras and then pick an appropriate centerpiece fish from the same region. It's usually suggested to go with one larger school over two smaller ones, but it's personal preference, obviously. If it were my tank I'd get a large group of Von Rio tetras -- our local store has a tank of them and they are beautiful.

Plague

O.o
Aug 4, 2010
Miami, Fl
Celestial Pearl danios don't need to be in a species tank. They do require a subtropical tank but I think they can be in 75 degrees F. Which will be fine for most fish. Look into a gourami for a center piece fish. You also got dario dario. Even african dwarf frogs.

bgallagher2455

AC Members
Nov 14, 2010
I started a larger tank with cories in mind and ended up with julli cories, a handful of dalmatian mollies, a school of blushing white skirt tetras, a school of cardinal tetras and for a center piece I have a pearl gourami.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store