29 Gallon African tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kingthedog

AC Members
Jan 16, 2020
I have a 29 gallon and want to start an African cichlid tank. How many Africans could I put in it?

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
There are a lot of African cichlids, which are you considering?

Lake Malawi is probably out as even the smallest species would get too large IMO.

A Lake Tanganyika shell dweller species only tank is an option.

I'm assuming this is a standard rectangle 29G tank?

kingthedog

AC Members
Jan 16, 2020
Could you list compatible species and numbers? Yes, it is a standard 29 gallon rectangle.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Rather than list the multitude of species, maybe post what fish you may be interested in or that are available to you locally.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Julidochromis transcriptus would work well if you used rock piles to create caves in the tank and use a sand substrate. Start with 6 juveniles and remove extra fish if necessary as they mature.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Not required to use sand, a fine gravel will also work. I like natural looking habitats for fish so I tend to use sand-like substrate and natural rocks in all my tanks.

If you haven't kept cichlids before, it is different than keeping more common tropical fish as some cichlids move the substrate around to suit themselves or sift through it looking for food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store