29 Gallon Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
can you not tell?!?! maybe thats not a good pic. if you look at her from the front she's huge, but how do you tell? i mean i figured she was.
if shes gravid shell have a dark spot on her belly near her anal fin. this means shes a little bit more than halfway through pregnency. :)

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
ill give you a pic of a swordtail with a gravid spot. basically same thing.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
here is my female prego swordtail that has the gravid spot. the other prego f doesnt have one yet. ive got 4 swordtails, this is just 1 (prego with gravid, prego no gravid, no prego, male)

swordtails 003.JPG
this is my prego female with a gravid spot. srry you cant really see it, because she was in the plant. this is perfectly normal for a heavily prego swordtail.
swordtails 008.JPG
same female, dif angle. you might be able to see her gravid spot. its a black area.
swordtails 007.JPG

swordtails 009.JPG
swordtails 004.JPG
just a pic of my male. hes super lazy since the f got the gravid spot. is this normal?
swordtails 002.JPG

for me, the nonprego f is one of the laziest swordtails i have. this is normal since the 2 other f's are hiding, so the male has given up on trying to spawn wtih them, so he harrasses the nonprego one, and it exhausts her. this is normal, and might happen to you.

srry if im hijacking your thread in any way. aslo srry that i couldnt get any good pics for ya, cuz she was hiding. if you need more pics or maybe a vid to see how they act, jsut ask. :)

swordtails 002.JPG swordtails 004.JPG swordtails 009.JPG swordtails 006.JPG swordtails 007.JPG swordtails 008.JPG swordtails 003.JPG

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Sometimes, you can't see a gravid spot if you have darker colored fishes. It is best to look for a box shaped body of the female or the birthing tube. It should be a white ball/dot near her anal fin. If it looks open, she should be having fry soon.

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
When she squares off, as in looks like this \__/ she's got two weeks max. That's when you move her. :) that's what I have to wait for with my black Molly... Since you can't exactly see a gravid spot on a black fish lol. It should be a spot right by her anal fin that's dark... You might even see eyes in it when she's really close. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store