29g Post-Disaster Re-do Dilemma

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Moi

AC Members
Jan 25, 2005
Long story short, my tank was recently the victim of a heater malfunction and I am now the owner of a tank with pretty much nothing in it. So...I'm letting the tank recover at the moment and contemplating making some changes.

At the time of The Disaster, the tank housed:
2 - uncatchable Platies
7 - Harlequin Rasboras
1 Dwarf Gourami
several amano shrimp
several ghost shrimp
a bunch of plants
snails

Currently:
2 - death defying and uncatchable Platies
3 - ghost shrimp
fewer plants
snails

My current plan is to ditch the stupid heater altogether and go with things that won't be upset if the water cools off during the winter (obviously the room is heated - just not toasty). I do have another tank that I can move the last of the 29g inhabitants into if needed.

So....the current ideas:
----- 1 goldfish - although the plants and driftwood could be problematic? My plants are all pretty tough though - java fern varieties, anubias. If the crypts grow back I could move them. I do have a secret oranda fixation though.

----- Guppies (fun, but where to put them after they multiply?!)
---- Let the platies win (same issue as guppies - and right now they're both female, so no babies!)
---- Something involving Cherry barbs? Odessa barbs?
---- Something totally different?

Thoughts? I prefer peaceful-ish fish (ignore the gourami - I liked the rasboras more), and perhaps less active than Zebra Danios.

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
Long story short, my tank was recently the victim of a heater malfunction and I am now the owner of a tank with pretty much nothing in it. So...I'm letting the tank recover at the moment and contemplating making some changes.

At the time of The Disaster, the tank housed:
2 - uncatchable Platies
7 - Harlequin Rasboras
1 Dwarf Gourami
several amano shrimp
several ghost shrimp
a bunch of plants
snails

Currently:
2 - death defying and uncatchable Platies
3 - ghost shrimp
fewer plants
snails

My current plan is to ditch the stupid heater altogether and go with things that won't be upset if the water cools off during the winter (obviously the room is heated - just not toasty). I do have another tank that I can move the last of the 29g inhabitants into if needed.

So....the current ideas:
----- 1 goldfish - although the plants and driftwood could be problematic? My plants are all pretty tough though - java fern varieties, anubias. If the crypts grow back I could move them. I do have a secret oranda fixation though.

----- Guppies (fun, but where to put them after they multiply?!)
---- Let the platies win (same issue as guppies - and right now they're both female, so no babies!)
---- Something involving Cherry barbs? Odessa barbs?
---- Something totally different?

Thoughts? I prefer peaceful-ish fish (ignore the gourami - I liked the rasboras more), and perhaps less active than Zebra Danios.
most of the fish you mentioned will need a heater set to at least 72F, but you could get away with guppys, platys, mollys, Buenos Aires Tetras, any of the Gymnogeophagus earth-eater Cichlids , and a few others.

What temperature does the tank stay at with no heater?

Have you called the heater manufacturing company and told them the issue? Every company I have called about heater malfunctions has sent me new ones for free.

TheWeirdo

AC Members
Apr 5, 2017
Platies and goldfish are not really compatible in terms of temperature and I dont know if the goldfish would eat the shrimp.
If you want something that does not need a heater 2 fancy goldfish sounds good and I dont think they will bother your plants at least not the Java Fern and Anubias, but the goldfish are pretty slugish so consider taking any decorations that may hurt their eyes or stuff like that.

cubequeen

AC Members
Apr 28, 2007
Indiana
www.etsy.com
Real Name
Karen
I think White Cloud Mountain Minnows are supposed to prefer cooler temperatures. Buenos Aires Tetras have been mentioned. I have those. Just a heads-up – mine eat every plant I put in there except Ceratopteris thalictroides and crypts. Even anubias and I'm not sure, but I think they must be eating the Java ferns because I have nothing but nubbins.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I looked in Axelrod's Atlas for fish that tolerate a 60-80 annual temperature range and came up with this list:
Rosy barb 6"
Two Spot/Ticto barb 4"
Zebra Danio 2.5"
Bengal Danio 6"
White cloud 1.5"
Gambusia 3.25"
Guppy, depends on strain vigor
Molly
Swordtail
Platty, maculatus and variatus
Paradise fish 4"
Blue fin Killie 2.5" not legal to own in Georgia so not an option for me.

There are more that like it cooler, but can't handle the upper range I looked for, so there are other options if your tank stays cooler.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store