3 Dead Danios after Treatment with API

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
Thanks for the info buddy but you do sound like a 'broken record'. Yes, I know the goldfish was in a smaller than usual aquarium and he/she might have died due to ammonia poisoning and I've said I'm sad so what's the use of beating a 'dead horse'?

Also, as I've said that I've revamped the aquarium and checked for most common issues and found none so far. Also, the Danios died 5 days after my goldfish died. Since my Oranda died I've done two 20% water changes and did Ph, Ammonia and Nitrate before introducing new fishes.

It's only upon introducing my new 5 Platies, 4 Corydoras and administering Melafix and Pimafix did my Danios die. Also, I've done another test yesterday for Ammonia and Nitrate, where Ammonia is Zero and Nitrate at 5ppm so I'm due a water change today.

Not to be mean to you, but please read the thread....:p
I had no idea the goldfish was dead already... sorry I guess I missed that part.

I was just trying to prevent it possibly getting stunted.

I do appologize for your loss and if I offended you in any way

wish you the best of luck

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
Euthanization eh......I'll really have to think hard for that. I don't feel right if I didn't do my best to make them better. At least then I know that I've done my best to help them recover.
I commend your efforts in saving your pets.. however there are some things that occur that you cant blame yourself for... no matter how perfect a fishkeeper is there is always risk of infection and when it gets severe enough, it is usually best to put the fish out of its misery and learn from the mistake (if there even was a mistake)

wackorash84

AC Members
Nov 3, 2010
UK
I commend your efforts in saving your pets.. however there are some things that occur that you cant blame yourself for... no matter how perfect a fishkeeper is there is always risk of infection and when it gets severe enough, it is usually best to put the fish out of its misery and learn from the mistake (if there even was a mistake)
Hiya,

The platy with the excessive fin rot has died. I saw her in the morning still alive with the top fin was totally missing and a white patch had built up around her top body around the fin rot. She died within the next 5 hours.

I've been reading around and it seem that once the fin is gone, it is normally terminal, so at least I tried I guess.

On Sunday following the dead of the Platy, I did a 30% water change and have added more Pimafix and Melafix (the usual dosages). I've also added Stress Coat+.

It's Monday, I've not added anymore Pimafix or Melafix and have carbon filters in the tank.

I've tested all the water parameters, Ph - 7.6, Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0ppm and Nitrate - 0ppm. So overall, no problem.

One big problem! I've still got 1 more platy which has the sign of fin rot on her back fin. There also a small white patch 2mm away from her back fin. Should I continue with Pimafix or Melafix? Or should I use Interpet Anti Fungus and Fin Rot?

A lot of people have been saying that Pimafix and Melafix are only mild remedy and would not help to cure the Platy. So would I be ok adding the Interpet Anti Fungus and Fin Rot??

Thanks for your advise in advance.

Regards,

wackorash84

AC Members
Nov 3, 2010
UK
I had no idea the goldfish was dead already... sorry I guess I missed that part.

I was just trying to prevent it possibly getting stunted.

I do appologize for your loss and if I offended you in any way

wish you the best of luck
Hi, thanks for your thoughtfulness. I accept your apology.

My conundrum now is whether I could administer interpet anti fungus and anti fin rot 24 hours after I've administered pimafix n melafix. I had my carbon in the whole time while I've been medicating the aquarium.

The reason for the change of mind is due to suggestions that pimafix and melafix are just mild remedy. I've still awaiting the arrival of maracyn but risk it being too late. I've also done a 30% water change just 2 hours ago and have removed 70% of my carbon (I've got an aquarium compartment filter and internal filter. The carbon in the internal filter is still in but thought its old so its efficiency should be minimal.

So can I put the interpet? Or should I wait?

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Sorry for your losses. Definitely seems that you brought home diseased stock from the pet store. You did not quarantine them in a separate tank which is always recommended to be sure not to introduce any disease brought in with the new fish to your existing stock. Whatever they have, and it sounds like bacterial fin rot, your danios caught it. That explains the danios dying. Sometimes you don't even see symptoms of disease or parasites in newly bought fish until you add them to your tank without a quarantine and your old fish get sick soon after and die.

Melafix and Pimafix are not medicines and would not resolve these issues.
Maracyn & Maracyn 2 are extremely effective meds, but we don't know when they will arrive. I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with the Interpet, but if it is effective against bacteria infections and fin rot, I would think that if you do a large water change first, the Interpet could be added. And keep the carbon out of the filter while using medications. You also might want to check to see if cories are sensitive to the ingredients in the Interpet. If so, you will have to cut the dosing back a bit.

One thing I notice is that you are measuring nitrate at 0. Are you using test strips or the liquid test kit. I'm doubting the result of 0 unless your tank is heavily planted and the plants are using up the nitrate. Did you take the tank apart after the goldfish died and reset it up?

wackorash84

AC Members
Nov 3, 2010
UK
Sorry for your losses. Definitely seems that you brought home diseased stock from the pet store. You did not quarantine them in a separate tank which is always recommended to be sure not to introduce any disease brought in with the new fish to your existing stock. Whatever they have, and it sounds like bacterial fin rot, your danios caught it. That explains the danios dying. Sometimes you don't even see symptoms of disease or parasites in newly bought fish until you add them to your tank without a quarantine and your old fish get sick soon after and die.
Looks like lesson learnt, albeit in a harsh way. Your advice and other research that I've been reading definitely seem to highly recommend having a quarantine tank before introducing new fishes to my current aquarium.

Melafix and Pimafix are not medicines and would not resolve these issues.
Maracyn & Maracyn 2 are extremely effective meds, but we don't know when they will arrive. I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with the Interpet, but if it is effective against bacteria infections and fin rot, I would think that if you do a large water change first, the Interpet could be added.
Ok. I did not dose any Pimafix or Melafix today. I've done the 30% water change, added API Stress Coat+ and removed my carbon filteration. I've let the aquarium settle down and then added Interpet Anti Fungus and Fin Rot 2 hours later. It has active ingredient of Phenoxyethanol 40,000 mg per 100ml. It's the only one available to me I guess. So it's all about praying hard and wishing for the best I guess.

And keep the carbon out of the filter while using medications. You also might want to check to see if cories are sensitive to the ingredients in the Interpet. If so, you will have to cut the dosing back a bit.
I've removed the carbon on the external filter. This is by far my biggest carbon filtration (half A4 size). However, there are still carbon in the internal filter which is 1/4 of A4 size but I have not changed this carbon for 6 months therefore, assume it's usefulness is dilapidated. However, if this is still an obstruction to my treatment, please let me know and I will remove it entirely.

One thing I notice is that you are measuring nitrate at 0. Are you using test strips or the liquid test kit. I'm doubting the result of 0 unless your tank is heavily planted and the plants are using up the nitrate.
I'm using the API Nitrate Test Kit. I believe it is classified as a liquid test kit since it comes with a test tube and two bottles. The past 3 test i've done has come with a result in yellow, light orange and yellow. The color card symbolises yellow and orange as 5ppm, that's why I've quoted it as 0ppm.

Did you take the tank apart after the goldfish died and reset it up?
I did not take the tank apart after the goldfish died as I had 9 Danios which looked very healthy. Before the goldfish died, I performed a 30% water change on a Tuesday. The goldfish died on the Thursday of the same week and I did another 30% water change on the same day and added aquarium salt. All my Danios were well at this point.

Thanks for your reply. I hope I've given you as much information as I could. Please feel free to tell me if I can do anything better.Appreciate all your help and advise to all of those that has noted on this thread

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Sounds like you are doing good now. 6 month old carbon isn't going to adsorb Amy medication do leaving it alone is fine. Give the meds a chance to work and we'll see how it goes. When medicating is complete, don't be afraid to do some frequent 50% water changes. Clean, clean water works miracles for growing fins back! Also, you donor have to add salt to your tank. None of your fish need it.

wackorash84

AC Members
Nov 3, 2010
UK
Sounds like you are doing good now. 6 month old carbon isn't going to adsorb Amy medication do leaving it alone is fine. Give the meds a chance to work and we'll see how it goes. When medicating is complete, don't be afraid to do some frequent 50% water changes. Clean, clean water works miracles for growing fins back! Also, you donor have to add salt to your tank. None of your fish need it.
Hi,

Cheerios.....

1st day of medication looks ok. The fin rot on the 1 platy has not got any worst.

However, I've just noticed that my 2 other platys have started flicking/rubbing against the internal filter cover and the rubber for the air bubble in the tank.

Do I need to be worried?

GuppyGirl1230

Snails, Guppies and Corys, OH MY!!!
Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth
Hi,

Cheerios.....

1st day of medication looks ok. The fin rot on the 1 platy has not got any worst.

However, I've just noticed that my 2 other platys have started flicking/rubbing against the internal filter cover and the rubber for the air bubble in the tank.

Do I need to be worried?
Hello again,

If they are flashing, which is what that rubbing behavior is, then they may have contracted what the other fish have. But, you are now treating with the new med, which may work wonders. Keep treating, and keep hoping! Hopefully you will get those meds from the US in quickly, because they work very well. Sorry for not replying before now, life has been crazy! Anyway, I'm sorry you lost more fish friends, hopefully this med will work. Keep us posted! And best of luck to you!

Maribeth

wackorash84

AC Members
Nov 3, 2010
UK
Hello again,

If they are flashing, which is what that rubbing behavior is, then they may have contracted what the other fish have. But, you are now treating with the new med, which may work wonders. Keep treating, and keep hoping! Hopefully you will get those meds from the US in quickly, because they work very well. Sorry for not replying before now, life has been crazy! Anyway, I'm sorry you lost more fish friends, hopefully this med will work. Keep us posted! And best of luck to you!

Maribeth
Just checked my aquarium stats.

Ph - 6.8 Ammonia - 0.25, Nitrate - 0ppm

Fish behaviour is still the same.

1 Platy with Fin Rot on his back fin + Fungus Cotton like growth 2mm on his side away from his back fin

1 Platy just sitting on the bottom of the tank just gasping

2 Platy flashing/rubbing/flicking.

The rest of them seem ok so far.

3 days tomorrow since I did the water change.

Treatment instructions to only change water after 7 days.

Should I make my water change tomorrow or follow the treatment intructions?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store