3 gallon bow-front tank for a.....?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ddmiddle7

AC Members
Sep 30, 2010
Indiana
Hello everyone,

I have a 3 gallon bow-front tank that is now in the process of cycling and would like some help deciding what to put in it...I know that I can't do much but would this work for a Betta or a pair of dwarf guoramis? We had a fancy guppy in it for a long time until he recently passed away. Since then the tank has been cleaned and set back up for a new resident. This tank will be in my son's room. I don't particularly care for Bettas but, I understand a 3 gallon tank can't handle the bio load for much else.

What do you all think I should stock it with? All suggestions and advice taken seriously.....

Thank you in advance!!!

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
Looking at the 2.5g tank on my desk with one betta and a few small ramshorn snails in it, I'd say you couldn't fit much in it. It's not really about bioload, but really more about swimming room. The bioload could handle several different kinds of fish, it's more whether they'd have enough room to move around and desplay their normal behavior.

Some options are a male scarlet badis (you can have a female or two in addition, but you'd have to find them), sparkling gourami (probably only one, the one I had was kind of a bully), an african dwarf frog or two, a trio of endlers, or a few males if you don't want to have to find homes for the fry, but I bet your LFS or local hobbiests would buy them from you. I'd avoid schooling fish, even tiny ones like phoenix rasbora. A 3 gallon isn't really enough for them to swim around.

You could also do some combinations, like an ADF and a sparking gourami (or male scarlet badis). But the max I'd put in that tank as far as number of inhabitance is 3 and not because of the inch per gallon guideline, but because several of the fish I listed can be slightly territorial and need to be able to have a little space.

Another option I just thought of is shrimp. If you are going to have shrimp, it's best to have them in a shrimp-only tank as other fish will for sure eat the babies, and many will eat the adults too.

ddmiddle7

AC Members
Sep 30, 2010
Indiana
Right now there isn't a heater in there. I had one in it originally but it ended up malfunctioning and cooked the original inhabitants (dwarf puffer and a few shrimp). I thought about buying one of these:
http://www.wayfair.com/Hydro-USA-Mi....html?refid=FR49-QBF1000_6063021&PiID=6063021

Does anyone know how reliable they are?
So my options are pretty limited without a heater....white clouds, bettas, or snails?

Last edited:

ddmiddle7

AC Members
Sep 30, 2010
Indiana
What would the ambient temp(s) be like?

IMHO, that tank is far too small for white clouds.
That is what I was thinking....I started reading about them after it was suggested and I won't put them in there. I have two thermometers in the tank, they usually stay 65-70 F in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store