3 spot with pearl gourami

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
I'm surprised that gold gourami exists with the pearls and is that a kisser too?

I know with my male blue gourami has zero tolerance for any other fish in with him that's of similar size, shape, etc.

I do have a pink kisser and an angel in one of my planted 55s that have tolerated each other for some time now.
what's wrong with gold gourami and pearl? male pearl, the only male in the tank, very rarely harrass blue, silver or gold gourami.. he has a thing for the female pearl and it's mostly during meal time, and blue female occasionally harasses goldie...

I don't think it's a kisser gourami, I've never noticed its lip look like kisser when she yawns, I was told here it was called silver gourami.

Overall they harass each other very little, my favorite is silver because she is the most peaceful in the tank

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
my female pearl has something in her eye.

I was away for the weekend, came back late night on sunday. When i fed them early today i noticed she has a spot in her left eye, right in the center. When looking at her from the front the spot is on the outer layer of the eye.

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
I found, on another website, exactly the same problem I have with exactly a same fish: female pearl gourami.
Can I post the link of that site here?

anyway, from the post from that forum the fish owner solved their problem by feeding their fish more and doing wc.

in the past few weeks I bought a chinese brand dried tubifex worm and been feeding them that mostly because my fish go crazy for that. so i will stop feeding them that and return to flakes

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Frequent large water changes can help with many minor issues. It may have a surface injury that may heal in a week or 2. I fit looks red or fuzzy an antibiotic might be in order. Even if it should lose an eye a 1 eyed fish can live a long & happy life.

I do not feed tubifex in any form & haven't for 35+ years. They grow in sewage (eww!) & freeze dried doesn't necessarily kill everything. I'm glad you pitched it. Bloodworms are a larval form of some kind of midge & blackworms are both better choices. I'm not a fan of freeze dried foods but you can try them. Soaking them for a bit before feeding will help rehydrate them & might help with "stringy poo" issues you had before.

For big box store foods I like Omega One brand, Super Color Flakes is my "usual" . Read the labels! The first 3 ingredients should be fish or shrimp like items, not wheat, corn or soy products.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
little update
the eye seems to be healing, the spot has decreased in size

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
Fish seems to have made recovery, i see nothing on her eye now

Reactions: dudley

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
bad news ? it has now moved to her right eye ?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Have you looked very hard at the spot? There are some parasites that can go for eyes. But have you also looked hard at your tank scape & tank mates that might be the issue? Plastic plants?...the gold gourami comes to my mind. I forget what else you have...

Without any drug treatment & that water changes seemed to fix it in a couple weeks, I'm still thinking an injury...you know what to do, big & frequent WCs. Maybe more plants to divide up the tank & provide hiding places. We did warn you about mixing gourami species...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store