30 G. Tankmates?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

marcusopus

AC Members
Oct 9, 2003
Visit site
I've got a 30 G. tank w/ 1 convict, 1 FM, 1 pink convict and a bristlenose. I used to have the recommended tiger barbs for target fish but they've all been slaughtered by the cichlids. I kept adding them and finding them dead. Honestly, I think that whole target/dither fish thing is bs.

Anyways, so far the convicts and the FM all have their territory staked out and I wanted to introduce another cichlid to the bunch. Would a jewel be okay to add to this tank? The other guys look like they've all stopped growing (all 2 years old and between 3-4 inches in length) since they haven't gotten any bigger for awhile now, and the tank looks kinda empty. Does anyone have any suggestions for other tankmates?

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Your tank seems pretty much full, I wouldn't add anything more. You could buy another tank for more fish or a larger tank to put more fish in with the ones you already have.
At this point, I don't think another fish would be able to settle in anyway.

DIYMatt

AC Members
Oct 8, 2001
Minneapolis, MN
I agree with Pumaward, your tank seems too full to me. Or your tank is too small for the types of fish you keep. Those Cichlids you have can grow to a somewhat large size given the proper conditions, and they can be kind of territorial. This is the reason I stopped keeping "regular" Cichlids. I can't afford and don't have the space for large enough tanks to keep them properly. I actually think it is a bit cruel to keep most of the "regular" cichlids in anything less than a 75g. Shame on the LFS's that sell the fish to people with smaller tanks. Please don't take offense to this, its just my opinion.

Dwarfs are the way to go, IMO. Big fish attitude and personality,small package. I would try some Kribs or Apistgramma Cacautodies if you can find them. I think you'll love em, lots of beautiful "dither" options also.

Last edited:

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
3 cichlids in that tank is enough. Or you can get a bigger tank if you really want to have more fish.

How big are your cichlids right now?

pharoh08

AC Members
Oct 4, 2003
pa
Visit site
yeah i agree

marcusopus

AC Members
Oct 9, 2003
Visit site
My Cichlids

Maybe I'm not the best fishkeeper around or something but all of the three seem really small. I've had the black cichlid (male) for about 2 years now and he's only like 3". The FM has been around for about 2 years and he's about 4 1/2". The pink convict (female) is about 3 1/2" - 4" and is about a year and a half. It's weird cause the female is much larger then the male. Maybe the male's not a male?

As far as their territory goes, the black convict owns the left 1/3, the FM lives in the center 1/3 and most of the right 1/3. The pink convict lives in the very corner under a rock. She tried laying eggs once but the black convict didn't feel like fertilizing them which also leade me to believe that he is a she.

Aggressiveness isn't usually a problem. The FM beats up on the pink but she seems to be fine and holds her own in her corner. The black will chase anybody out of his territory, even the FM. Occasionally I will see them tangle up but that is rare.

All the tiger barbs are dead or have disappeared under a rock somewhere.

How long does it take for a convict or FM to reach full size? I've always wondered.

Thanks for the replies.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
From what I have seen of south/central american cichlids they seem to grow very rapidly and reach adult size within a year to a year and a half from when you purchase them. There's always a few exceptions...

Convicts are one of the ones, though I have never owned one, and I would like to someday, that would seem to me to be rapid growers... after all their profile here says "Rats of the fish world".

How often have you been doing water changes? What do you feed your fish? There's always a chance that your fish are slightly stunted, though their size doesn't seem too far off to me.

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
Marcusopus, your cichlids are on the right size.

There aren't many Convicts today that reach 4" when fully grown. FM doesn't get that big...max size is 6", but even than is very rare. If you have gotten those cichlids from LFS, those sizes are expected.

To tell if your black convict is male or female, just check the belly. Female has pinkish or redding belling. Male is just plain black stripes with gray body.

This is female convict.

And this is male convict.

marcusopus

AC Members
Oct 9, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, the pink has the orange spots, and the black doesn't. It's weird that she started out smaller and is bigger than he. They haven't paired up, possibly due to the color difference?

I do 20-30% water changes every two weeks, and I feed them sinking color bits and blood worms.

I guess if they were all around 5" the tank would look pretty full but if you have a three 3"-4 1/2" fish floating around, the tank looks kinda empty.

I got the black con. and FM at a LFS and I got the pinkie at (gasp!) PetSmart. They look about the size of your convicts in the pic though.

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
Your fish are in the right size.

Convict...well, it had even bred with Green Terror. I don't think the color will stop them at all. I guess your male convict just didn't want to breed. When and if it does, you will know.

As for adding another fish, 30g isn't very big to hold that many fish. You have to remember, cichlids are territorial.

I have 90g tank that holds only 3 cichlids and a few oddballs right now, GT, Carpinte, and a mix blood parrot. Soon my jack dempsey and convict will join them. By the time all my cichlids reach 5" or 6", I have to get a bigger tank for them.

My point is...don't think that 30g tank is big. Cichlid isn't like bettas or goldfish. Cichlids like their spaces...the more the better and calmer they are.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store