30 Gallon Stocking Strategy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bucky Katt

AC Members
Jun 6, 2006
After much research and everyone's helpful suggestions, I think I am going with a community tank. Here is what I am leaning towards.

2-3 Bolivian Rams ( 1 male and 2 females preferably, since they will be hard to differentiate)
6-7 Neon Tetras
6-7 Zebra Danios, Harlequin Rasboras or Black Phantom or osme other Central/South American Tetras
4-5 Peppered or Panda Cories

Anyone see any compatability issures here? I think I will be fully stocked with fish that are decently colored and have good personalities.

LunchBox

Me fail english? that's unpossible!
Feb 7, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
that's not too bad. one thing on the bolivians, the best way to tell them apart (males and females are identical when they're young) is to look at their tailfin.

the top and bottom rays of the fin are red on both, but the males' are elongated and the females' are not. so when you go to purchase them look real hard at the tail and pick one with the long top and bottom rays and 2 without and hopefully that will work. it depends on how old they are wherever you find them.

denali1234

AC Members
Mar 22, 2005
Moose Jaw , Sask, Canada
I would go with the rasboras , I have some and they are great. They occupy the top of the tank as well, which will even out your tank. Zebra danios are all over the place, and can sometimes cause disruption in a peaceful tank. Black Phantoms hang out mid-level to bottom-level, and this is where the neons and Rams and cories will hang out.
One word about cories and rams: I had 2 rams and three albino cories in a 30 gallon, and the rams harrassed them so bad I had to move the cories. They do not like to share the bottom level. I replaced the cories with 4 kuhli loaches instead, and they tolerate them just fine. If you can get black or brown kuhlis, they are less shy and hang out in the daytime. I see mine all the time. They arguably do a better job of cleaning the bottom of the tank as well. They are interesting to watch too.
Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store