30 gallon tank stocking questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wfg97079

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Hi,
I a 30 gallon tank with 8 neon tetras, 4 corrys and 1 pleco, what else would be appropriate to add?
Water levels are great, and the pleco has started to work on my slight algae problem

tornangel012

Melancholy Dreamer
Feb 12, 2005
Powell
www.torn012.net
umm according to what suggestions I've gottan for my 10 gal you could get zebra danios, ghost shrimp, otos, loaches. I think you ahve a lot of choices since those are all pretty non aggressive fish. You could but a Betta in there but just one and it would be fine. Or you could do some fancy tail guppies if you want multiple pretty finned fish. how about some mollies? OH and with a 30 gal you can get a red fin shark I believe but just one like the betta.

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
wfg97079 said:
Hi,
I a 30 gallon tank with 8 neon tetras, 4 corrys and 1 pleco, what else would be appropriate to add?
Water levels are great, and the pleco has started to work on my slight algae problem
I would add at least two more of the same variety cories you already have. They like to school. What kind of Pleco do you have? Some varieties get too large for a 30 gallon tank. And now comes the difficult part. I do not know you, nor your taste in fish. What is it you are looking for in additional fish? Is your tank planted or not? Are you interested in breeding fish, or simply pleased just to keep them? What is important to you in a fish?

Analog Saint

AC Members
Aug 25, 2004
Washington, DC
Yeah, I'd second investigating what kind of pleco you have... Common Plecos can grow longer than a foot in length. Bristlenose plecos, Queen Arabesque plecos, and I hear Gold Nuggets are some of the smaller varieties- I know bristlenoses and the queen arabesques can happily live in a 30 gallon, but I think the gold nugget may outgrow a 30 gallon. Plecos grow pretty slowly, but if you plan on keeping a pleco, it's always good to make sure you have a large enough tank in the future to hold it.

I'm a big fan of cories, they're lots of fun in a big school.

If you wanted to go for an amazonia biotope, you could get a pair of Apistogramma dwarf cichlids or German Blue Rams- those would look spectacular in there. That way you'd get schooling fish, you get a nice size suckermouth catfish, and a breeding pair of cichlids to watch... Quite a nice combo.

Last edited:

wfg97079

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
thanks

Thanks for the responces.
I think a couple more cories would be cool.
As far as the pleco I was sold him as a "Dwarf pleco" that would be appropriate for the 30 gallon tank. I guess time will tell.
The tank is planyed, not heavily. Some java moss and fern. A big piece of driftwood and a small rock cave (the pleco seems to have claimed this as his home)
I like the look of the Apistogramma dwarf cichlids or German Blue Rams, any advantage or disadvantage given my setup?
Do they breed Easily? Would my tank allow for the sapce for fry?
Thanks!

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
The apistos or rams would be good, although german rams can be sensitive to water conditions. African Butterfly cichlids (Anomalachromis thomasii, I'm sure I've mispelled that) are another really nice looking fish that would do very well in that setup.

None of them are really the bonehead's approach to breeding, if you want that, get a pair of kribensis. Your tank isn't really breeding friendly though, cories and the pleco will eat the eggs if they find them and the tetras will gladly gulp down any fry they can find. But you don't really want a lot of fry in that tank anyway, so consider them population control.

I'm going to vote "nay" on the danios, though. Add a few more neons to the school if you like, but danios will break up the school.

Ghost shrimp are a good call, they're a lot of fun to watch and are good little workers.

Definitely consirer Otos (Otocinclus affinis), they're much better algae eaters than most plecos (my opinion) and they stay smaller. You could replace the pleco with 3 or 4 Otos and not have to worry about pleco size. But plecos are cool too, although they're thrashing about can be havoc on stem plants.

Here's my pick from the suggestions: (living vicariously!)
pleco -> 4 Otos
A M/F pair of Apistos, rams, or ABC's
2 more neons
Ghost shrimp (maybe 6?)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store