310gal Compatibility/Stocking Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cockroach

AC Members
Feb 15, 2010
The Chungle Taiwan
My 310 gal sprung a huge leak a week ago and was drained. The fish in it were moved to another tank and I have decided I might keep them there and stock the 310gal (210cm x 67cm x 88cm) with Africans. I do not want an all mbuna tank, or all peacock tank or even an all Malawi tank. I ahve beeen doing a bit of research and come up with a list I want and wanted to know for you guys what you think.

Now I know that it may seem insane but the tank is large, filtration is more than adequate and different areas will exist for different species. See image below. Here is a list I am looking at putting in my tank with my comments next to them:

[FONT=&quot]Malawi (I chose what I have READ to be the more peaceful mbuna)
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cyrtocara moorii 5-6[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dimidiochromis Compressiceps 6 (I know these are big and eat smaller fish but they will be used to control fry)
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sciaenochromis Ahli 4-6
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cynotilapia Afra 10[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Iodotropheus sprengerae 8[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Labidochromis Caeruleus 20[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Labidochromis Flavigulis 4[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Labidochromis Zebroides 6[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pseudotropheus Socolofi 8[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sciaenochromis fryeri 4[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tanganyika[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Julidochromis Regani 2 (I can live without these but have always wanted some)
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Neolamprologus Brichardi 2 groups(I love these and really want them)
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Victoria[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Astatotilapia Latifasciata 6 (not sure if these will work but have seen them in African tanks before)
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Other[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jewel Cichlid 6 (These should be able to hold their own??)
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cleaners[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Synodontis Eruptus 2[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Synodontis perticola 6[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]What do guys think?[/FONT]
View attachment African Tank Setup.bmp

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Sciaenochromis Ahli and Sciaenochromis fryeri are usually the same species. The true ahlis are much less uncommon than the fryeri. Most Ahlis are mislabeled fyrei. Just so you know :)
Cynotilapia Afra 10
Iodotropheus sprengerae 8
Labidochromis Caeruleus 20
Labidochromis Flavigulis 4
Labidochromis Zebroides 6
Pseudotropheus Socolofi 8
Sciaenochromis fryeri 4
Some of the species you have listed will most likely be difficult to find. Labidochromis Flavigulis and Labidochromis Zebroidescome to mind. I don't think I have ever seen these species for sale. Also I would avoid so many Labidochromis species to cut down on hybrids. Cynotilapia afra covers A LOT of different species. Most don't get very big and could end up being a meal for for the Dimidiochromis Compressiceps. Same with the Iodotropheus sprengerae. I think mbuna might be a bit much for the moorii. Personally I would look at a species like Placidochromis sp. “phenochilus tanzania over Cyrtocara moorii but that's me.

Ok as a suggestion of other more peaceful mbuna I highly suggest Pseudotropheus Acei. With yellow or white tail. I prefer the yellow tail but it's all in personaly taste. A large school would be VERY happy in your set up and won't both the other fish.

Brichardi I think can handle mbuna because they are pretty mean themselves. Just know if they spawn they will take up a large area and will defend it again ALL. They are tough and form huge colonies. Similar situation with the jewels. They will pair off and defend and area for their fry. It's a large tank so I *think* you can get away with it. Just have a back up plan in case.

So my opinion is I would not get the Dimidiochromis Compressiceps, your syno petricola will take care of any fry it finds. I have a group of 9 in my 80 gallon and there are no fry to speak of.

So here's what I would do:

Placidochromis sp. “phenochilus tanzania" 5-6

Cynotilapia Afra 10 ( I would look into jalo reef or into cynotilapia white top hara)
Iodotropheus sprengerae 8
Labidochromis Caeruleus 20
Pseudotropheus Acei 10
Pseudotropheus Socolofi 8 (These guys can be really nasty. I know you are looking for more peaceful mbuna so beward)
Sciaenochromis fryeri 4

Neolamprologus Brichardi (1pair)

Astatotilapia Latifasciata 6(Victorians are pretty mean and I think they can hold their own with this group)

Jewel Cichlid (1 pair)

Synodontis Eruptus 2(I don't know if this species gets along with others of it's kind)
Synodontis perticola 10 (This species doesn't get very large and doesn't have a big bioload. They are fantastic in large groups)
Mastacembalus elipsifer 1I can't help it I LOVE eels! And Tanganyika has so many great ones.

I would start there and see how things go. With mixing all 3 lakes you may or may not have issues so have a back up plan just in case.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the dietary differences you will have to deal with. Mbuna are generally herbivores and will bloat if given too many meaty foods. You have several carnivorous fish mixed in which can lead to problems.

Last edited:

cockroach

AC Members
Feb 15, 2010
The Chungle Taiwan
Blue2fyre- WOW, thanks so much for the detailed reply!! I really appreciate it.

I have heard that about the ahli but forgot to change it on my list. As for the Labidochromis Flavigulis and Labidochromis Zebroidescome, I have seen very similar looking fish here and wanted to know about compatibility before I find out exactly what they are.

I have not come across Placidochromis sp. “phenochilus tanzania here yet. I like the Pseudotropheus Acei and could possibly look at swapping out some Labidochromis. Would have to check availability first though.
If the brichardi or jewels get out of hand I have small DIY traps to lower into the tank that would be too small for some of the other fish. Would the Freyi and compressiceps not handle the fry and to some extent the pair themselves?
The socolofi I have rarely seen here and was wanting to add them only if I could find them and they would probably be the last to be added.

Don't you think the brichardi stand a chance to be wiped out with only one pair? The jewels too?
I have not commonly seen the eels here either.

As for the dietry requirements I think I have that covered. As this is Asia, all convenience,grocery and Mom and Pop stores carry seaweed sheets which I will lower to the bottom of thew tank on a rock tied to string every other day. I will also feed pellets and other food for predators. All my fish have a very varied diet.

Eclipse_sky

AC Members
Feb 17, 2011
WOW 310 gallons is a lot to spring a leak! How scary is that? If I had a 310 gallon, I would stock it with 500 pygmy cories, haha j/k. I LOVE lamp brichardis, you should do one huge colony of them in there, that would be so awesome!

cockroach

AC Members
Feb 15, 2010
The Chungle Taiwan
Yeah, the worst is the leak happned in the middle on the bottom seal. I got there when about 400L had made it onto the florr. This was 4am in the morning but luckily my tanks are in my 'basement' where the flood was not too much of a problem. Also luckily my heaters have an alarm system which went off, woke my jack russel who barked and woke me. Mutli-alarm system is a must.

I have had species tanks before, I love them but eventually they get a little too much the same for me. I have never owned brichardi but always wanted some and decided it was time.

Eclipse_sky

AC Members
Feb 17, 2011
I'm really considering turning my 30 gallon into either a lamp brichardi or some kind of shelldweller tank. My LFS has a million brichardi babies, they are such pretty fish. Your heaters have alarms? how cool is that? Do they alert you when the water level gets low?

cockroach

AC Members
Feb 15, 2010
The Chungle Taiwan
Do a brichardi tank!!

The alarm is attached to the external thermostat. It alerts you when the temp around the temp gauge go higher 3 or degrees above or below the set temp. I have my heaters set in an area of my sump far away from the temp gauge that will warm up quickly and let me know something is awry. Also, I think some water splashed onto the thermostat and the shorting causes the alarm to go off. These heaters work out cheaper than all in one heaters.
Unfortunately it does not warn me about the water level but my paump will suck some air and that noise lets me know.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Blue2fyre- WOW, thanks so much for the detailed reply!! I really appreciate it.

I have heard that about the ahli but forgot to change it on my list. As for the Labidochromis Flavigulis and Labidochromis Zebroidescome, I have seen very similar looking fish here and wanted to know about compatibility before I find out exactly what they are.

I have not come across Placidochromis sp. “phenochilus tanzania here yet. I like the Pseudotropheus Acei and could possibly look at swapping out some Labidochromis. Would have to check availability first though.
If the brichardi or jewels get out of hand I have small DIY traps to lower into the tank that would be too small for some of the other fish. Would the Freyi and compressiceps not handle the fry and to some extent the pair themselves?
The socolofi I have rarely seen here and was wanting to add them only if I could find them and they would probably be the last to be added.

Don't you think the brichardi stand a chance to be wiped out with only one pair? The jewels too?
I have not commonly seen the eels here either.

As for the dietry requirements I think I have that covered. As this is Asia, all convenience,grocery and Mom and Pop stores carry seaweed sheets which I will lower to the bottom of thew tank on a rock tied to string every other day. I will also feed pellets and other food for predators. All my fish have a very varied diet.
The brichardi and jewels may end up killing off others of their species once a pair is formed. Brichardi form large colonies and older fry help raise the younger fry. These fish are very tough and have no problem taking on fish much larger than themselves to defend their fry. The fryeri and comps may get a few but most likely won't be able to get many.

The dietary issue is still a bit of a problem. Mbuna will eat ANYTHING so it may be difficult to keep them from eating food meant for the carnivorous fish. Just something to keep in mind.

cockroach

AC Members
Feb 15, 2010
The Chungle Taiwan
Won't the synodontis help to keep fry in check as well? I have read about death colonies formed by brichardi's but they seemed to pose a more serious threat in smaller tanks where other fish had less space to retreat.

The dietry issue I have kept in mind and will keep in mind.

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
Won't the synodontis help to keep fry in check as well? I have read about death colonies formed by brichardi's but they seemed to pose a more serious threat in smaller tanks where other fish had less space to retreat.

The dietry issue I have kept in mind and will keep in mind.
The Synos will help, but IMO, I don't think fry will have too much of a chance of surviving in that tank anyway. It's too bad you weren't closer to me, I could help you stock that tank very easily, with fry/juvies of 4 of the species on your list! Afra, Rusties, Acei, and Labs:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store