315G Plywood Tank Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Very cool! especially when you consider it only took one piece of glass making the rest of the construct very affordable and the scale while large very doable without monumental structural concerns. Also built the in look really solves the whole concern over tank stand furniture appeal and gives a clean yet mysterious ambiance.

deeleywoman

All men are equal before fish.
Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
.....wow. this build is AMAZING!!!!

also, that stand looks like a sherman lmao

BadOleRoss

AC Members
Jan 3, 2010
The stand is wonderful. I wish I could take credit for the design but I borrowed it from another build. The outside of the tank and stand has been drywalled with greenboard to give the tank a more finsihed look. As soon as it is all painted and trimmed out, I will get some picturers posted. I know drywall seems like a strange material for the ouside of the tank but I figure that the water is supossed to stay on the inside and it's my tank so I can do what I want. Today, I will be out in the workshop assembling 2 overflow boxes. Ordered the bulkheads lst night.

BadOleRoss

AC Members
Jan 3, 2010
Thanks Mikey! Well, got the overflows built and 2 coats of PC on each one. I would have gotten more done but I had to spend 2 hours chasing my dogs. i will try to put up some pics tomorrow. The new bulkhead fitting have been shipped as well.

oscartank

Geophagus and severums is my game
Jul 17, 2008
South Wales UK
just read through yr thread ross. It is a awsome build!!!!! Good luck with your sump, what are u currently and in the future are you housing in that beast of a tank?

BadOleRoss

AC Members
Jan 3, 2010
The wife allowed me to build the tank and I allowed her to stock it. Right now there are about 125 tropicals in it and we are trying our hand at live plants. We have been down the monster fish route and the saltwater route before and we wanted something that was a little or the simple side and where every fish death wasn't a $30 loss.

BadOleRoss

AC Members
Jan 3, 2010
Okay, I removed my old bulkhead fitting today on my tank and installed my DIT overflow boxes. I am going to try to post some pictures doing it old school so we'll see how it turns out.
This is a picture of the screen bulkhead that I am removing. There are 2 of them and I am just not getting enough water flow to the sump using these and I dont have the room on either side to add 2 more.

After removing the bulkhead, I cut out the area between the bracing to allow a space for the new overflow boxes.

Here is what the new box looks like. It's made of plywood and coated in liquid rubber. There are 2 1.5" bulkheads going out the bottom of each box into a 3" pipe that leads to the sump. A 3" pipe will enter each end of the sump. In the top view that is not exposed plywood, it's just a little sawdust.

Here is the box, well one of the boxes installed with a fresh coat of liquid rubber. I will be putting poret foam in the front of the box to prevent fish from entering it. The main body of the box will be opened for right now but it will be a nice place to put filter media in the future.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store