36 Gal Tank Ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

The GingerFishman

AC Members
Feb 13, 2019
Quincy, MA
That's not what I've read throughout the years, nor has it been my experience after years upon years of keeping cory cats of all types. I never had the problem ever again once I went to sand, and I've kept hundreds of corys for years without issue since.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
This is exactly why it is so hard to get the truth across to hobbyists. Even now, people are still claiming their fish will adapt their size to their tank, that you need "cleaning" fish and so on. For one, it's unlikely you can find gravel in a LFS sharp enough to damage their barbels.
It's theoretically possible, maybe if you make your own gravel by crushing rocks or something. The reason for not keeping them with coarse gravel is it's too large for them to dig in it. If that is your real age next to the cake, I've kept them longer as you are alive...

The GingerFishman

AC Members
Feb 13, 2019
Quincy, MA
Hey great for you, again, not my experience but I think 30 years of keeping fish will suffice to have an experienced opinion. People incorrectly believing their fish will adapt to the size of their aquarium is significantly different than the believable aspect that fish could damage or wear down their barbels while digging through gravel, which regardless of the size of the gravel, they're going to try to dig into it. Most gravel is fairly rough around the edges. Additionally, I did 20-30% water changes weekly when that happened and my water chemistry is always well maintained. Corys would not be digging through coarse gravel in nature, where their natural substrate would consist of sand, detritus and vegetation.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Hey there I too have a 36 gallon bow tank and am in the process of restocking my tank and I am almost done just a few more fish that are in QT will be added and then am all done. I know you wanted some ideas for your 36 g I currently have cories, cherry barbs, glo light danios, glo light tetras, bleeding heart tetras and tonight I have added my two discus to the tank and keeping my fingers crossed. These two discus were smaller so I am pretty sure they were stunted but they are healthy & they look great and have done awesome through the QT process & are ready to be added as my two centerpiece fish. Since they are very sensitive fish I did a drip acclimation so they can have an easy transition and am keeping the tank light off tonight. So far so good! My water parameters are perfect for them and although I will have more water changes to do because they are in there it will be all worth it am so excited they look great in the tank! Hope these idea work for you! Just keep in mind that the larger size discus grow much bigger than the ones I got. Good luck!! :D

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store